1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 way high end speakers Vs 2 way

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Kamin99, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Kamin99

Kamin99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    orry it might sound stupid ,but I just cant help noticing that high end floor standing speakers comes in 2 flavours 2 way and 3 way while generally mid rang speakers come as 3 way

So would that mean that if you are buying a high end you should aim at the 3 way speakers is there a difference ...thanks

2. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +541
    Each speaker company has its own idea on what sounds best, a good example is bi or single wired. Even really high end speakers (£10k+) can use single wire or 2 way designs. The norm appears to be 2.5 way, with very few true 3 way speakers on the market.

The only test is your ears.

p.s. i have seen a speaker that costs in excess of £25k that was 1 way, and it sounded amazing, but then what would you expect for the price of a decent car.

3. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    One of the reasons why there used to be so many 3 way speakers until the mid 1980 was they had a tax loophole and therefore had a higher profit margin.

Just to expand on what stevos said, I have heard £35,000 speakers which had vast numbers of drivers and sounded like a cheap midi system. A good speaker is a good speaker no matter how it is made, the differences are just design philosophy's

4. Kamin99

Kamin99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks stevos and Londondecca you really cleared up my mind i was thinking of sonus Faber Concerto Domus 2 way and Grand Piano Domus 3 way so i wil arrange to audition them and make a decision based on how they sound