'3' user wants a new phone - what will work?

RMCF

Distinguished Member
I am on the 3 network and am happy with my service but I am not a fan of the Sony K610i that I got from them.

Main problem is that you can't set the phone to MANUAL SELECTION in the network search, so it often roams if my 3 signal goes. Of course you don;t know this and often take and make calls without looking.

Thing is I NEVER use the 3G facilities of my 3 network. I NEVER surf the net or any such things. I basically just use it to call or text.

So can I buy some other phone and insert my 3 SIM into it?

Wulliemac

Standard Member
I am on the 3 network and am happy with my service but I am not a fan of the Sony K610i that I got from them.

Main problem is that you can't set the phone to MANUAL SELECTION in the network search, so it often roams if my 3 signal goes. Of course you don;t know this and often take and make calls without looking.

Thing is I NEVER use the 3G facilities of my 3 network. I NEVER surf the net or any such things. I basically just use it to call or text.

So can I buy some other phone and insert my 3 SIM into it?

I think if you don't use any of the 3G services, then you'd be better off on a different network. It costs three when you roam onto another network, so it is in their interest to keep you on their 3G signal when available - hence why they disable the manual selection option on their phones.

If you keep getting dropped calls, have you checked the coverage map on their website? Or there could be a problem with the phone itself - have you checked to see if there are any firmware updates available for your handset?

RMCF

Distinguished Member
I think if you don't use any of the 3G services, then you'd be better off on a different network. It costs three when you roam onto another network, so it is in their interest to keep you on their 3G signal when available - hence why they disable the manual selection option on their phones.

If you keep getting dropped calls, have you checked the coverage map on their website? Or there could be a problem with the phone itself - have you checked to see if there are any firmware updates available for your handset?

Thanks for the reply but I am a bit confused by the first part of your answer.

You say it costs them when I roam and thats why they want to keep me on their network. But by disabling the manual selection on the phone it AUTOMATICALLY roams when I lose signal, so thus contradicting what you say.

Would it not be better to allow MANUAL selection and then if you set it to '3' as your choice then its either '3' or nothing. This is what I want.

Bar this I have no issue with my phone. I have no issue with calls and have never lost a call. Its just that in my area the likes of O2, Orange, Vodafone probably have stronger signals, so if the 3 signal goes slightly the phone sometimes switches over to O2, because I am not able to disable this in the menu's.

I asked a sales asst in a local phone shop about this and he told me that many people are complaining about this. He thinks that the networks want you to roam the odd time as it allows them to get money off you. Personally I would rather have no signal for a while than roam.

He also said that more and more new phones are coming out with the MANUAL selection disabled.

And you say it costs '3' money if I roam - surely you mean it costs ME money. Sure they bill me big money if I use another network.

Is it all a con?

rentagas

I thought that 3 only had 3G stuff and if not in a 3G area they roamed on another network (not sure which one). They got fed up because in order to avoid the problems of dropped calls customers either put the SIM in a 2G phone or switched off 3G/automatic selection and chose another network. When ou roam on the other network in the UK I thought 3 paid for the call except if you hit their "excessive roaming" clause. Are you sure you're paying extra to roam. If you do have to roam "excessively" I suspect that you are on the wrong network. Of course tmobile and 3 are planning to share 3G networks so in the future you will be able to use tmobile masts but this will take some time to happen.

davejerome

Hi RMCF, I don't think you quite get what Wulliemac was saying.

I copied the text below from my reply to a thread spiderman999 started a couple of days ago.

The difference is that 3 use a backup network for when you have no 3G signal (o2 if purchased before 2007 and orange if purchased in 2007 onwards). Because of this they want you using the 3G network as much as possible because they have to pay if you are in a poor signal area (and using their backup network). This was in theory a good idea because it meant it cost the company more to give you crap service! In the early days they only allowed IMEI's (phone serial numbers) on the network that were "3" branded.

When the other networks started building 3G networks they (unofficially) changed the rules to allow non "3" 3G phones, this was as I say unofficial and simply done to reduce call centre calls about how to get unsupported phones to work. However if you were not using 3G enough (i.e disabled 3g on the menu or live in a poor signal area)) then your account will be marked and your phone will only work with a "3" phone. This is because they want to make sure you are actually in a bad signal area and not just switching to 2G to get better battery life / signal.

As I said, this is all done unofficially. Because of this your contract will state that you must use the equipment provided by them.

Finally a modern 3G phone such as yours should be happy using "3" 3G network then switch (even mid call) without you noticing to the backup roaming "orange etc" 2G network. I know this doesn't work 100% percent of the time but it should switch fine if you are moving at slower than 50mph.

RMCF

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the info guys.

I do remember something when I signed up about being able to use Orange. But my phone ALWAYS roams to O2.

I will call into the 3 shop locally and ask them what the story is and if it costs me to roam. If it doesn't then there's no issue.

Are you saying that if I don't use the 3G services (which I don't) then I am in some way marked in their systems and possibly discriminated against? Surely its not a requirement to surf the net, download goals etc on your phone. I have never been convinced by all the fancy features of phones over recent years. All I do is make/receive calls and send texts. Nothing else. I chose the 3 network because their £15 for life monthly deal suited me better than any other network.

williemaykit

You don't pay to roam onto O2/Orange. 3 pick up the tab to provide you with better coverage. They will blacklist you under their excessive roaming clause if you constantly roam.

Although it may not appear that you use the 3G service, using a 3G phone will give you better reception and call clarity due to the bandwidth available in a 3G signal.

davejerome

Are you saying that if I don't use the 3G services (which I don't) then I am in some way marked in their systems and possibly discriminated against? Surely its not a requirement to surf the net, download goals etc on your phone. I have never been convinced by all the fancy features of phones over recent years. All I do is make/receive calls and send texts. Nothing else. I chose the 3 network because their £15 for life monthly deal suited me better than any other network.

No, you are not discriminated against. Ok its like this. As a network 3 (3G network) don't have full UK coverage. So when you fall out of coverage you "roam" on either o2 or orange (a 2G network). When you come into good signal your phone will switch back to 3. The reason they mark your account is because when you are roaming you get better signal/battery life simply because the 2G networks are more developed, more masts for signal and the phone doesn't have to look as hard for signal saving battery. Because of this some customers force their none "3" branded 3G phone onto o2/orange. This costs 3 and so they mark your account to make sure you are playing fair.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom