3 TV shootout.. just can’t call it ! HEEELP!

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Stoo1701, Dec 7, 2018 at 6:50 PM.

?
  1. Samsung QE55Q6NFAT QLED

2. LG B8 OLED

3. Sony KD55XF900 LED with FALD

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Stoo1701

Stoo1701
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Reet.
    Haven’t bought a telly since my trusty and beloved Panny GT30.. she has served me well.. but is getting retired this week. A small screen scratch has got me a £700 curry’s voucher, and I have a max of £500 to throw on top for the new set.

After catching up on the tech changes and what’s available, and with a max total then of £1200.. I have the following down as the last three runners.

Sony XF900
    LG B8 OLED
    Samsung QE556FNA

So, a top scoring LED with FALD, a Lower range OLED that seems well respected, (and yes, it’s 100 more which is part of the weighting...) and Samsung’s entry QLED. All in a 55, as I’d rather has smaller quality than larger and worse images.

Would really appreciate some opinion and guidance on these.. which would YOU get, and why? Is a low end OLED way better then an ex-flagship LED like the Sony? Where does QLED fit into this?

Losing track of the wood for the trees here guys, objective help much appreciated !,
    Thanks in advance !

2. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +595
    What will you watch on the tv? And at what resolution? Is hdr important?

3. Stoo1701

Stoo1701
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sky TV (may go Sky q for UHD), Netflix, movies and big budget tv (GOT, Walking Dead etc). Not fussed in gaming, don’t have the time. Distance us around 3metres and head on. HDR not mega important, but I haven’t had it yet so can’t quantify how useful 8 may find it in coming months, next couple of years etc. I like bright, I like razor sharp, I hate motion ghosting and judder. Love sci-fi.. major trekker ;D. Cheers

4. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,457
    If you like bright and razor sharp perhaps one of the LCD models might be better for you. Especially if your lounge is bright as well.

If you prefer natural and accurate and cinematic in a cosy lit room I'd go for the OLED anyway of the week, hence I voted like that. Especially when you switch from a plasma tv that you liked.

5. Stoo1701

Stoo1701
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well... just pulled the trigger on the B8. Went back to the shop, got the remote and did a side by side with the C8, both on Cinema-home mode and there is really nothing in it.. barely a difference. After spending some time with them, went back to QLED and LED and they were horrible in Vivid (expected) and had nowhere near the sharp and deep contrast in their cinema mode. Really no comparison.. was an easy decision after that.

Only bad news.... have to wait a week for delivery

Thanks for your input, and to those who voted, agreeing with my choice in majority.

Now to build a good library of stock HDR & Dolby Vision material to set it up with !