3 Tier Oak AV Rack

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
As the final part in the jigsaw that is Russell's Floater, I decided to do away with (or at least store for a future room ;)) my Atacama Equinox hi-fi racks and replace them with something a bit lower and a bit more furniture like. As the rack will be flanked by my two 15" DIY subs that were constructed as tables, I decided to keep the theme running.

The end result is something that looks very much like a range of 'multi award winning' racks. As to which ones, I'll let you decide....

So, the basic materials were pretty much decided from the off. The shelves would be cut from a 40x620x4000mm piece of butchers block oak kitchen worktop. Sourced from Fleabay, it cost £150 delivered.

p5101714.jpg

It was sawn using a circular saw (and my home made saw track for millimetre perfect straight cuts) into three 500x1300mm chunks and then the edges were rounded over using a 1/2" round over bit on my router.

p5101716.jpg

The legs are a smaller (60mm versus 80mm square) and therefore much less costly solid oak that is otherwise identical to the stuff on my subs. Eight pieces 450mm (ish) long were sourced from British Hardwoods Online and came in at about £68ish - I can't remember the exact figure, because I bought them yonks ago in a sale, but it was a lot cheaper than the figure linked to above. It turned out I only needed four bits and so have enough pieces left to do this all over again...

The edges were rounded over using a 1/4" roundover bit and then diced into four 85mm lengths for the shorter top tier and four 290mm lengths for the taller middle tier.

p5101717.jpg

p5101718.jpg

Once the legs were cut, I worked out were they'd look best (to my eyes) and drilled 3mm pilot holes in both ends of all of the legs and right through all of the shelves with the exception of the shelf I'd selected to be the best looking top shelf. Into the top of the legs, I screwed 4x50mm self tapping dowel screws (£2.37 delivered - Fleabay again) and then, with a modest dab of wood glue around the pilot hole, you simply screw the legs into the shelves. Restricting the pilot hole in the legs to 25mm deep ensures that the screw screws at least 25mm into the shelf. You don't need much glue as the screw pulls the leg up very tight, spreading the glue as the leg twists and nips up. Oak is a dense wood and the scrw bites like you wouldn't believe if you're used to soft stuff like MDF or plywood and after 15 minutes, it was impossible to turn the legs - They're absolutely rock solid.

p5101719.jpg

For the bottom of the legs and the bottom shelf, I bought threes sets of four Monacor SPS-10/SC spikes in black chrome. They're not very big, but I didn't want them to look too obviously hi-fi rack and they're only there to provide leveling - Remember, spikes can't isolate, so there's no need to go potty if they look right. I bought them from Cybermarket at £30.71 delivered.

p5101726.jpg

The 3mm pilot hole was used to centre the forstener bit used to create a small recess for the mounting thread and then I drilled out the 3mm hole to 7mm to accept the shank of the thread. You then just hammer them in and again, because of the density of the oak, they dig in like ticks and you don't need any glue.

p5101727.jpg

Repeat twelve times. Four of those times are on the bottom shelf simply to provide a firm, level mounting through carpet.

p5101728.jpg

Once that's all done, all that's left is to centre to spike cups on another modest blob of glue, drop the shelf on top and let gravity take care of the rest.

p5101731.jpg

I did think about recessing the the cups, but as I'm no wood worker things aren't quite millimetre perfect. A spike misaligned in a cup looks pretty obvious, whereas a cup misaligned by a millimetre or two to centre exactly on the spike is practically invisible. The end result looks pretty good, even if I do say so myself.

p5101729.jpg

p5101730.jpg

p5101736.jpg

For tonight I'll leave it to set and then get down to applying the danish oil tomorrow, but that's only a half hour job, if that.

As such, the rack stands me in (geddit?) at a shade over £250 and only took three hours of labour. The nearest commercial alternative of similar size (1200x400mm, so in fact smaller) costs £309 per shelf. That's £677 well saved and even if you started from scratch a basic router, drill, circular saw and chop saw could be had inside of an extra £300.

God bless DIY.:)

Piccies of the finished article to follow and in situ piccies will follow in the Floater thread.

Russell

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
Very nice, make sure you seal it in something waterproof! ;)

Adam

Mark Grant

Looks great :)

If there are going to be heavy amplifiers on the bottom shelf it might be worth fitting a middle leg to help prevent the shelf sagging over time.
If its short and further enough back you might not see it from the front.

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member
That looks superb Russell, and its not even been oiled yet to bring out the character of the timber. Good work....if only id been gifted with such magical skills:D

asif

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
Mark Grant said:
Looks great :)

If there are going to be heavy amplifiers on the bottom shelf it might be worth fitting a middle leg to help prevent the shelf sagging over time.
If its short and further enough back you might not see it from the front.

Hello Mark.:)

I had considered that and may yet still add a spike or supporting block, but the 'design' on which is based just had the four legs.

I'll keep a close eye as the bottom shelf will be supporting a Cinepro 2k6 AND a Behringer EP-4000, both of which are far from light!

Russell

Sent from my iPhone using AVForums

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
sammy the squid said:
That looks superb Russell, and its not even been oiled yet to bring out the character of the timber. Good work....if only id been gifted with such magical skills:D

asif

I'd love to take all of the credit, but with power tools, it just ain't that hard. If it was, I'd be buggered!

Russell

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member
Not one to normally question your wisdom mate, but is that oak 40mm thick? If it is, i stand corrected and a visit to specsavers is on the cards:smashin:

i think its the routed finish making it look nicely streamlined-i'll grab my coat!

Last edited:

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
sammy the squid said:
Not one to normally question your wisdom mate, but is that oak 40mm thick? If it is, i stand corrected and a visit to specsavers is on the cards:smashin:

i think its the routed finish making it look nicely streamlined-i'll grab my coat!

May I draw Sir's attention to the third paragraph of the OP? :D

Russell

Sanders79

Distinguished Member
God bless DIY.:)

Plus one to that!

I'd love to take all of the credit, but with power tools, it just ain't that hard. If it was, I'd be buggered!

Agreed to an extent - power tools can bring this kind of result to the realm of anyone with a practical mind, but you do still need the skills to get it right; eye for detail, thinking out the various steps of the design and how to make it, not lopping an arm off with your circular saw etc... I think you were being unnecessarily modest about a job well done :)

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member
May I draw Sir's attention to the third paragraph of the OP? :D

Russell

I read read that bit, thankyou very much :) i was looking at some walnut timber in the same worktop style to knock up something matching to my rack for bluray storage.But the 40mm snaps of those on the bay conveyed a bit more thickness to my peepers.

I think we'll have put it down to dodgy eyes and even dodgier photos:D

Regardless, its another job well done Williams :thumbsup:

Whens the main room getting some attention?

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member
Plus one to that!

Agreed to an extent - power tools can bring this kind of result to the realm of anyone with a practical mind, but you do still need the skills to get it right; eye for detail, thinking out the various steps of the design and how to make it, not lopping an arm off with your circular saw etc... I think you were being unnecessarily modest about a job well done :)

Aye, he can be a bit of a modest bugger. I can hold a paint brush, but it doesnt make me Da Vinci:eek:

Apone

Very nice build:clap:.

I take it you paid attention in the school woodwork classes;)

HiFiRuss71

Distinguished Member
I slid out to the workshop as soon as I was home and oiled all of the shelves. It was getting a bit dark and I still needed to un/re-install the system from the Equinox racks into the Oak rack, so I'm afraid I didn't take any piccies at that stage. I'll try and add some daylight pictures to give a better impression of the colour a bit later.

For the mean time, these will have to do:

p5111744s.jpg

p5111741s.jpg

p5111745s.jpg

Russell

sammy the squid

Distinguished Member
I didnt want to comment on the floater until you were all but done, now ive seen the snaps, it looks immaculate:smashin:

richsmif

Wow, impressed. Wasnt sure about the wallpaper, but looks ok actually now its done.

inzaman

Looks excellent now its all in place :cool:

Russell.Williams said:
As such, the rack stands me in at a shade over £250 and only took three hours of labour. The nearest commercial alternative of similar size (1200x400mm, so in fact smaller) costs £309 per shelf. That's £677 well saved and even if you started from scratch a basic router, drill, circular saw and chop saw could be had inside of an extra £300.

A new business venture for you :)

bryanchicken

I agree this is amazing stuff, and i'm very tempted to do something similar (not for AV though), especially as i already have all the tools :thumbsup:
Do you think i could fashion some matching floating shelves out of the worktop or is it just plain too heavy?

gitmadman - there is a link the british hardwoods online in the first post :smashin:

Cheers for the thread and inspiration!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone