Question 3 system>2 tv's>sonos. with no optical.

jwt653

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello. so I have an interesting system and I was wondering if It could work or if I thought it out correctly.

I have drawn a graph for help. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

The issue is that I have 3 systems (xbox, playstation, and a switch) so I would like a selector for these. The issue is that the output (the projector) doesn't have a optical audio cable output, while the sonos only has an optical.

My thought is to have the 3 systems go into a selector with an audio stripper. from there the audio will output to the sonos while the video will output to the display selector. Currently the projector or the tv.

My current setup includes the display selector. If I add the input selector with audio stripper running to sonos optical. will that work?

Here is the selector I have for the video output.Amazon.com: OREI HD-102 1x2 1 Port HDMI Powered Splitter Ver 1.3 Certified for Full HD 1080P & 3D Support (One Input To Two Outputs): Home Audio & Theater

Here is the one I was thinking for the input selector/stripper. Amazon.com: AVENK 3x1 4K HDMI Switch with Audio Extractor Optical SPDIF RCA L/R Out Remote Control and Power Adapter Support v1.4 1080P 3D ARC EDID: Home Audio & Theater

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I assume you have the Sonos already, if not then a better option would be to get an AV receiver with some speakers instead of the splitter.
On the splitter front I would not get the one you picked but would get one that had 2 HDMI outputs and then just use the one splitter to strip the sound and split the signal between the TV and projector. Having 2 splitters in the system could give problems with the signal etc.

am I able to get the av receiver even if I do have the sonos. It looks like I can output optical from them. My gripe was that an av recediver is 400 bucks and takes up a bunch of real estate, so If I could have gotten away with 60 dollar option and less space that would have been nice.

SONOS - Optical Input suggests you have the PLAYBAR.

PLAYBAR + AVR - no that would not be a good system plan. You either go with an AVR + speakers and Sub or the intended HDMI Switch + PLAYBAR.

'3 Systems' - gets confusing the way you use that term, better to call the Input devices your 'Sources'.

HDMI Switch + Distribution Amp (Splitter) - as PSM1 says it may work or you could run into EDID and HDCP issues, the only way you will know for sure is to install the kit and and see how you get on.

HDMI Matrix - preferably has onboard EDID and HDCP management along with the Optical Out you require, HDMXA71 – The Media Factory

Joe

what would be the reason for avoiding the playbar with avr? Which, as you guessed, is what I have.

AVR + PLAYBAR - unless you are creating a system where you use the AVR (with suitable loudspeakers + Sub) for Movies via the Projector and then use the PLAYBAR when you are viewing via the TV it makes no real sense to pre switch your sources using an AVR to feed the PLAYBAR.

AVR - is a pretty inefficient device if all you are using it for is to Switch Sources and Output an Optical signal to a PLAYBAR, how much power is being consumed by the AVR vs. an HDMI Switch with Optical Out?

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom