• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

3 sim card different chip sizes?

JLA

Hello,

I have an issue where my 3 sim will not work in a device of mine. I have noticed that the chip on the 3 sim is smaller than the chip on any other sim card and this seems to be the issue on why it does not work.

http://www.mediafire.com/imageview.php?quickkey=myymmiivdjz

The one on the left is 3 and right is voda

Can anyone please shed some light on what this card is? I contacted 3 who were determined that I was telling lies and they dont have sims with a small chip.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

prking

3 are correct. What you are looking at is the gold which is deposited above the 'chip'.
Different manufacturers have different patterns, but the phone only makes contact in six places. You can see little marks on the gold where the contacts are made.
It is possible for a device to be not compatible with a network, due to the different equipment used. The last major example on 3, was the Nokia N900 which required a firmware upgrade.
What is the device that doesn't work?

JLA

Thanks for the reply,

its a home automation device that allows you to text it to activate the receivers. I could not understand why the chip sizes were so different. The device I have will not even boot up with this dim but works with all others.

prking

What you are calling a chip is just the gold pattern deposited above the chip and how much is exposed.
There is a micro-sim, but its half the size of a USIM.
As for the device, is it capable of working on a 3G network?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom