3 sets to choose from

camzio

Standard Member
Reaction score
Narrowed it down to three sets, which one would you recommend me to buy?

* Samsung LE32R71
* Sony 32S2000
* Toshiba 32WL66Z

:suicide:

Picture quality is most important to me, also it will be mainly displaying SD tv/dvd, but i want good quality HD also for the future!
all three are similar in price so that doesnt matter

if you are not planning on using as a pc the Tosh WL66 is fantastic.

if you want 1:1 pixelmapping over vga then the sony is just as good as the tosh but with better pc support (more expensive tho)

the sammy is the lowest budget of the 3, BUT does the the 1:1 pixel mapping.

from what i can tell its the worst standard pic however

if you are not planning on using as a pc the Tosh WL66 is fantastic.

if you want 1:1 pixelmapping over vga then the sony is just as good as the tosh but with better pc support (more expensive tho)

the sammy is the lowest budget of the 3, BUT does the the 1:1 pixel mapping.

from what i can tell its the worst standard pic however

thx, i dont need the vga so the toshiba looks like the best option then! any other displays i didn't mention/think about u would recommend?

also very important to me is that there is almost no motion blur/latency in fast moving images like soccer matches

Narrowed it down to three sets, which one would you recommend me to buy?

* Samsung LE32R71
* Sony 32S2000
* Toshiba 32WL66Z

:suicide:

Picture quality is most important to me, also it will be mainly displaying SD tv/dvd, but i want good quality HD also for the future!
all three are similar in price so that doesnt matter

I would have to say Sony is your best option. It has very high contrast ratio (double that of Tosh), excellent video processor, deep blacks and awesome LCD panel. It can also handle SD very well but if you want to improve it further, simply buy a Panasonic up-sampling DVD recorder for £170.

PS: Contrast ratio of a display panel doesn't determine the color fidelity or the black level.

PPS: Here's a review http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/review/2006/06/06/Sony-KDL-32S2010-32in-LCD-TV/p1

I was reading this with interest but, as a novice, didnt understand what the up-sampling DVD recorder was doing to improve the picture. Are you suggesting that the signal is fed into the DVD recorder and then out again to the TV and that the DVD recorder improves the quality of the signal?

yap. The Panasonic DMR-EZ25 has an excellent 12bit video encoder, which will de-interlace the 576i from SCART to 576p and up-sample it to 720p. All the TV has to do is slightly scale the 720p to its native resolution therefore bypassing the TV's de-interlacer and up-sampler.

so it seems to come down to a battle between the toshiba and sony :)

(on another note, is there much difference in picture quality between the sony s and v series?)

so it seems to come down to a battle between the toshiba and sony :)

(on another note, is there much difference in picture quality between the sony s and v series?)

Indeed.

and like the guy above said, i spose if money is no object the sony is the best of the 3.

however, if money IS an issue, then imo the tosh is more than good enough but thats just imo (i have seen both the tosh and the s eries in action, there isnt much in it aside from pc stuff)

the V is better yet apparently, tho i havent played with that one myself.

it is too rich for my wallet.

yap. The Panasonic DMR-EZ25 has an excellent 12bit video encoder, which will de-interlace the 576i from SCART to 576p and up-sample it to 720p. All the TV has to do is slightly scale the 720p to its native resolution therefore bypassing the TV's de-interlacer and up-sampler.
Thanks Nielo

So why dont the TVs themselves have the same technology (or quality of technology) built inside them?

Are there any HD TVs around which do come up to the same quality for SD pictures without compromising on the HD picture?

also very important to me is that there is almost no motion blur/latency in fast moving images like soccer matches
Hi Camzio

Did you ever get an answer to the "motion blur/latency in fast moving images like soccer matches" question?

(As a novice, Im not sure how big an issue this is. I need a new TV so figuring I may as well go HD but I mostly watch the footy.)

I very much doubt you'll find an LCD without blur. Latency is a different issue, and current sets seem to have no problems with this (it certainly won't affect football, anyway).

Thanks Nielo

So why dont the TVs themselves have the same technology (or quality of technology) built inside them?

Are there any HD TVs around which do come up to the same quality for SD pictures without compromising on the HD picture?

All HDTVs follow the same process but the image goes to several filters which actually ruins it. So it’s best to bypass.

HDTVs from Sony, Panasonic and several others do have excellent SD performance without comparison HD.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom