• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

3 Room HDMI Problem

BlairLoch

Hi All,

My folks have just got a nice bit of land, and we are set to build a house.
I have decided that this is a good opportunity to centralise all of my media sources, so that I can use them in my bedroom / My Games Room and in some cases my parents Livingroom.

I will be using the following sources that I already have.

Xbox 360
PS3
XBMC
SKY HD (might cancel when I move)

These will be out putting to;

Games Room:-

Projector
HDMI Amp with 5.1 Sound

Bedroom:-
Regular HD TV Set
No Additional Sound (TV speakers only)

Livingroom:-
Regular HD TV Set
No Additional Sound (TV Speakers only)
Will have its own SKY HD box (centralised box will not be displayed in here)

Now I know I can use a HDMI Matrix Easily to do this, however the sticking point is the 5.1 Sound I want to implement in the Games room. How do I go about doing this section?

Do i do this?

Sources -----> HDMI Matrix Output 1----->HDMI AMP-----> Projector
HDMI Matrix Output 2----->Bedroom TV
HDMI Matrix Output 3----->Livingroom TV

I'd then use a well configured Logitech Harmony Remote to control all of this, allowing me to have a film from the xbmc playing in the livingroom, me gaming(xbox) in the projector room, and someone watching a bluray on the ps3 in bedroom.

My main issue, is will the sound work properly in this setup, with 5.1 working whenever a source is put into the games room, while remaining 2.0 when switched to the tv screen.

Thanks for any advice!

Blair

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Simplest option is to ensure all of your Sources support Video + 2.0 LPCM over HDMI (ideal for distribution via the HDMI Matrix) plus simultaneous 5.1 DD/DTS over Optical and connect them direct to the AVR using Optical cables.

Ideally the Source devices will be collocated with the AVR that’s driving the Spks in the Games Room.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom