3 Retention Deal

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by juglandblues, Aug 15, 2012.

1. juglandblues

juglandblues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi, well i phoned up 3 today to give my 30 days notice as i cant really justify the £36 a month contract anymore. The signal is really poor in my flat so My plan was to get it turned into a payg sim and keep my existing phone which is an iphone 4 and maybe change to another network payg sometime. I also swithered about changing my phone to a nokia lumia 710 a couple of weeks ago but after a while i couldnt justify that either.

The lady on the phone offered me the one plan for £10 a month and a samsung galaxy s2 but it was another 24month contract. She also said she would give me a (free home signal box?). Or for £15 a month i could get the HTC One x

Im tempted to take her up on one of the offers then sell the upgrade straight away, keep my iphone4 till the new iphone 5 comes out then when i sell that i could combine the money and either get a 4s or a 5 direct from apple. On the other hand im also tempted to just knock 3 on the head and get an o2 payg sim and keep my iphone 4.

Anybody any ideas what i should do?

2. Jay Z

Jay Z

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    for the box to work you will need a very good broadband connection, as the box will use the broadband connection to send signal around the house and you'll need a wireless router as the ethernet cable from the box will go into one of the ports behind the router.

It also depends on the way your flat is designed, some parts of the flat might be poor for reception, you'll need the other guys to tell you about this as I am not with Three and don't really know how good their boxes are.

How many minutes and texts do you use per month on average mate?

Ho is the O2 signal where you live?

Have you tried other pay as you go sims to check on coverage?

Jay

3. juglandblues

juglandblues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Jay, cheers for the reply. As it turns out the offer I received from 3 was a load of lies. After 40 minutes on the phone almost begging for my PAC code they finally caved in and text it to me.

Going with a text and web sim card from O2. It gives me 300 texts, and 500mb of data per month so long as I top up by £10. Seems a pretty good deal and should hopefully last me a month. Tried the sim in my phone in a few different places and i seem to get a far better signal at both home and work.

4. Jay Z

Jay Z

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119

No worries mate.

Why not go for a gifgaff sim? If you visit their community forums, and under a members signature, order a free sim? Once activated and the goodybag is activated, you'll get a fiver free credit.

For a tenner a month goodybag yo'll get 250 mins, unlimited data and unlimited texts.

It might work out better for you, as they are owned by o2, reception shouldn't be a problem.

Jay

5. juglandblues

juglandblues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Heard some horror stories about giff gaff so will just stick with o2 I think. Don't use a great deal of minutes so my £10 should last the month. Will probably get sucked into a contract deal when the new iPhone comes out anyway haha

6. Jay Z

Jay Z

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    what stories you heard? I've ben with them for a while and barring the o2 network outage, not had any major isues.

7. juglandblues

juglandblues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    More stories about customer service, or lack of it than the actual service itself . As far as I'm aware everything is done through emails and there's no customer services phone number. Topped up my O2 sim card now and going to port my number over in the next couple of days.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  8. DrPhil

DrPhil
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,237
    I love 3 retention department.

Can you tell when my upgrade was???

Attached Files:

9. juglandblues

juglandblues

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Haha at a rough guess July. Great saving there. You must have got a good deal

10. The Grandfather

The Grandfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Well for me to cancel both my phone and my wife's phone it took 33.5 minutes. Yee gods what an aweful load of cr*p I had to put up with. On and on they droned offering this that and the other. All they have achieved is to ensure that I will never ever go back to three. Even if hell freezes over. You have feel sorry for the poor call center workers having to endure exasperated customers. :mad:
    In contrast when my wife left O2 (carphone warehouse) they were brilliant and for our new phones that's where we try first.
    Do any of the main players have UK call centers? Please post and let me know as it will be a deal breaker.

Cheers

Nick

11. richcandy

richcandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    O2 - Have UK call centres, however email and online chat is dealt with overseas.

VF - Most calls go overseas however 2nd level support and their eForum guys are in the UK.

Orange - Similar to VF, with calls going overseas but 2nd level support are in the UK.

Alex

12. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,577
    3 do seem to have staff who are... persistent. Can be used against them if you actually want to stay ;) :devil:

13. The Grandfather

The Grandfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Alex,

Thank you for that. I'll bear it in mind as tomorrow when my senior domestic manager and I are off to "Phone hunting".

Steven,

After the last two years of what turned out to be rotten phones and rotten service the remark "Hell freezes over" still stands. However if I were to prostitute my principles then you are right in what you say.

Thank you both.

Nick