3 Red Lights AGAIN....but now outside three year extended warrenty!

jegan111

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, as the title says, my old 360 (which I've only recenlty donated to a friend) has given up the ghost again.
I got the three red lights on it last year, around October time and got it fixed by M$, (for free obviously.)
But now, as the three years for RROD is up on it (its a launch day machine) what will M$ do? Will they try to charge me for repair (£60-70 or so?) or as it was fixed only about 3 or so months ago will they repair it again? Any pointers or advice on what to say would be great.

Try booking it on the phone again and just plead ignorance about how old it is. If they refuse then complain about the poor level of service and how disgraceful it is the last repair only lasted 3 months. Try to speak to a supervisor if they insist on not helping. If all else fails, then either buy a arcade or do the ultimate xclamp fix which is cheap enough and well documented for most adults to attempt to fix.

Good luck

The x clamp fix is straight forward, I did mine fine and im no genius!!!! Its actually quite rewarding fixing it yourself!!!!

you could always take the old xbox to gamestation to trade it for a new one, then you will get a new 360

My 360 got RRoD after 2years+ and it shows on the Xbox site that the 12month manufacturers warranty expired in August 2008. If something similar happened to your 360 you might actually be in the 3years as MS's system seems to get confused after you had a repair.

If they fixed it three/four months ago, then the warranty has reset itself.

The Indian call center person on the phone may not want to accept this, or even know that, but under UK law if they repair the console they are, like the sale of goods act, liable to ensure it lasts for a reasonable amount of time.

And that is not Three/Four months!

Phone them up and inform them that it has been three or so months since it was last in for repair with the RROD and that it has developed the three red lights error again.

If they refuse to take it, snail mail a letter to to Microsoft headquarters in Reading quoting their obligations under the Supply of Goods and Services act of 1982.

Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 Quick Facts - BERR

Don't open the console yourself as this will void the warranty.

* The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 requires a supplier of a service acting in the course of business in England, Wales and Northern Ireland to carry out that service with reasonable care and skill and, unless agreed to the contrary, within a reasonable time and make no more than a reasonable charge.

* Any goods supplied in the course of the service must be as described, of satisfactory quality and fit for their purpose. If they are not the consumer is entitled to a repair, replacement or compensation.

Don't worry you'll get it fixed, as you are legally in the right and entitled to have them do it.

If it was only fixed 3 months back you have a good base for a repair free again, the 3 month warranty is stupid if you ask me!
I offer 6 with mine and free repairs should it go tits up again and all for a smaller fee than MS, and if it cant be fixed a trade in for a working one. touch wood so far all the repairs are holding up strong but these machines can be so temperamental, I guess the best thing about being in the repairs business is that you can take your pick of what console you want to keep, in my instance it had to be an elite :D

Are RROD's on the increase again? I last updated for the NXE, but just spotted this article saying a later update is breaking things again? So genuine question, whats it like in 360-land?

Xbox 360 RRoD returns - issue getting out of hand? - GAMER.BLORGE

I have a reasonable sized firends list and not one of them had any issues or any of their friends as a result of the update. Then again its anecdotal evidence like pretty much that article is. I like how he referenced forums then didn't do any hard research to show an increase in the figures of people reporting faults in terms of actual numbers. Bad journalism or a fanboy, take your pick on the article.

The RROD is still prevalent on all models of 360 but it hasn't increased, perhaps the Jasper may finally result in better reliability though, unlucky owners can only hope.

I have a reasonable sized firends list and not one of them had any issues or any of their friends as a result of the update. Then again its anecdotal evidence like pretty much that article is. I like how he referenced forums then didn't do any hard research to show an increase in the figures of people reporting faults in terms of actual numbers. Bad journalism or a fanboy, take your pick on the article.

The RROD is still prevalent on all models of 360 but it hasn't increased, perhaps the Jasper may finally result in better reliability though, unlucky owners can only hope.

I'm not saying the update funked consoles, but some people like me took an age to download and install it, presumably the servers where hammered. As a result somebody could be served corrupt data and thus be left with a funked console.

I'm not saying the update funked consoles, but some people like me took an age to download and install it, presumably the servers where hammered. As a result somebody could be served corrupt data and thus be left with a funked console.

I often wonder if thats even possible, its very easy to implement error checking surely. I'd be very surprised if the 360 didn't check the file for consistancy before running the update. There is of course the issue that if it failed when writing the update to the 360.

Would just like to say cheers for all the advice.

I did call them and told them the truth and the woman just said it was still due a free repair. Packed it up, sent it off and it was back in a week!

Thanks to everyone that replied.:thumbsup:

Fantastic, nice to hear that MS do the right thing from time to time.

Mine this morning has developed the classic ring of death.

I bought it around May 2006 so im in my 3 years thing.

However what info do you have to supply to microsoft to get it fixed? I dont think i even have the box nevermind a receipt.

Tried to reg it on xbox website, keeps saying UK is not currently supported

Mine this morning has developed the classic ring of death.

I bought it around May 2006 so im in my 3 years thing.

However what info do you have to supply to microsoft to get it fixed? I dont think i even have the box nevermind a receipt.

Tried to reg it on xbox website, keeps saying UK is not currently supported

You are probable trying to register it on the US Xbox.com, not GB one.

You don't need to supply anything other than the consoles serial number and your address details.

http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/support/

I setup my return entirely online without ever telephoning them up.

right got my stuff ready to send off but a question:

unplug everything form it and pack the xbox without video cables, hard drive

but says nothing about power lead and pack? do i put that in aswell?

but says nothing about power lead and pack? do i put that in aswell?
No, send nothing but the actual console.

From what I have read they once asked you to remove the front faceplate on the console too.

I removed it on mine at before sending in.

again thank you. this forum rocks.

However this is such a pain in the arse. im trying to schedule a pickup for it but i dont have a UPS account number. anybody help?

ive tried putting in all the numbers on the label thing but nothing works

Quicker to ring up and book a collection, be sure to have your UPS label handy :thumbsup:

Blimey it seems to be happening to a lot of people at the moment! I got the RROD yesterday, but this is after I sent the 360 back to Microsoft for repair about a year ago. Problem is I don't have any of the documentation that shows when I got it repaired previously. Will I be covered under an extended warranty for the RROD problem? As my original warranty has now expired. In order to get the repair label online I had to give my credit card details and they said it would cost about £80. I want to make sure I don't get charged that £80, but I am having real difficulty speaking to someone as I keep getting directed to their off-shore call centre where noone seems to know the definite answer! Is there someone I can speak to in this country!?

Blimey it seems to be happening to a lot of people at the moment! I got the RROD yesterday, but this is after I sent the 360 back to Microsoft for repair about a year ago. Problem is I don't have any of the documentation that shows when I got it repaired previously. Will I be covered under an extended warranty for the RROD problem? As my original warranty has now expired. In order to get the repair label online I had to give my credit card details and they said it would cost about £80. I want to make sure I don't get charged that £80, but I am having real difficulty speaking to someone as I keep getting directed to their off-shore call centre where noone seems to know the definite answer! Is there someone I can speak to in this country!?
If you had to give your credit card details I think that is a nigh on certainty they intend to charge you.

I never had to give any card details whatsoever, and from the numerous posts on returns I have never saw anyone else have to either.

Telephoning Xbox support is a waste of time you just get Indian call centers who neither could care less, nor are knowlegable enough to know (as you have found out).

Two options (well 3 if you want to count pay the £80 - which for me is not an option).

So from this web address it gives you the contact details for Microsoft UK HQ
http://www.microsoft.com/worldwide/phone/contact.aspx?country=United Kingdom

From this if gives you this telephone number: Tel: 0870 60 10 100

This number is the telephone number for the UK Microsoft switchboard, phone it up and ask to speak to someone in the UK for Xbox360 support (they will more than likely just put you onto the automated Xbox support Texas guy though, who then puts you onto Indians)

Or option 2, snail mail a letter to Microsoft HQ explaining your situation and that you have only had the repaired console a year and its RROD'ed.

Microsoft Reading
Microsoft Campus
Thames Valley Park
Reading RG6 1WG

Microsoft will have the dates on their system when they last repaired the system.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom