3 projectors, which one

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rab4169, Mar 8, 2005.

1. rab4169

rab4169
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    looking at 3 projectors 2 off ebay (panasonic 300 and 500) 1 from shop but double the price (optima h30) . i can only sit 9 foot from 6 foot screen and don`t want any chicken wire . any thoughts

thanks

robert

2. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    We love the H30A here at audiovision, I would also re-consider your viewing distance, maybe down to a 4 or 5ft screen as you may find a 6ft far to big, would be like sitting in the front row of a cinema with the image to big to see in one comfortably

3. rab4169

rab4169
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks
    still recommend a h30 ,even with the screen down to 5 ft, will i notice anything like pixels at that distance

thanks
    robert

4. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    The H30 has now been replaced by the H30A which is a vast improvement. Consider the Infocus Screenplay 4805 ( check out my screenshots on another thread currently running). My 4805s image is about 6 foot wide and I sit about the same, 9 foot back. I see no pixelation at all. If you go for LCD, look at ones with a resolution of at least 720 lines, the DLP projectors do not show their pixels as easily as LCD so 480 lines is fine on the Infocus.

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,126
    Hello Robert

A few points to consider:

Warranty - the H30A price includes a Three Year On Site warranty plus you have your dealer to call on should there be any problems.

Second Hand - how close are either of the Panasonic LCD units to requiring a new lamp and are they free of any pixel defects?

Noise - if your sitting close to the projector the H30A is a very quite running model.

Image size - at 9' the H31 will throw anything from 54" up to 66" Wide 16:9 image; where are you planning on mounting the projector and keep in mind you need to take the projector body and some clearance for cables and air into the equation when working out throw distances.

Screen - if your unsure what size screen will work and you have light coloured walls it may be an idea to get the projector first and play around with image size before you order a screen.

I've installed a couple of the H30A in set ups where on paper it looked like the viewing distance was going to be too close for the screen size required by our customers but have to say they are happy and it looked good to me (though I'd have easily lost a bit of image size in a couple of set ups).

Best regards

Joe

6. rab4169

rab4169
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thnks

was only looking for something about £5-600 as it is for a small entertainment room and only used once a week at most due to work and baby.
    i think first option would be panasonic 300 as i can get for around £500 on ebay . how much more would the others be and would it be worth holding off a couple of months for a more expensive model .
    i think sevenoaks are doing a h30 for 899 , any better deals around.

thanks

robert

7. ntslik

ntslik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Theres no H30's left, been replaced by the H30A

8. rab4169

rab4169
    Standard Member