3 megapixels

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by oxygenuk, Oct 12, 2004.

1. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    what kind of quality is 3 megapixels ive been looking at an IT Works digi cam from comet which is only £70 says it produces 3 megapixels so whats the quality like? could anyone post a picture of 3 megapixels if they have one? thanks :D

2. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is more to photos than megapixels! One 3mp camera is not the same as the next 3mp camera so it would be silly to look at other cameras photos.
    What make is the camera you are looking at?

3. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  4. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I wouldn't touch a cam like that with a bargpole. You would be better to look at a camera from a more recognised camera brand. The Canon Powersot series are highly reccommnded and the Fuji FinePix or the Olympus C-160 - you can get a couple of those suggestions for around £80.

I'm sure Keanyboy can offer better advice than me though :)

I personally had a cheap no name camera when i first started out and it was a load of rubbish. i don't think you would be very happy with it.

HTH!

5. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, just wanted to add - Comet isnt always the cheapest place to buy a digital camera either. Check out Pricerunner and input your prefernces in the bar at the side.

:thumbsup:

6. sorbiegunner

sorbiegunner
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I agree with everything HBE says, take a look at ebuyer and you'll see much better (named) cameras for that money.

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,109
    As above I go for one with a manufacture of a reliable lens name. A good 3 megapixel will give you a good 8*6 print.

8. Razieluk

Razieluk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this is probably way too late but I'll put in my tuppence anyway.

I've a Fujifilm Finepix S5000 (now replaced with the S5500) and it has 3 million pixels (6mp output apparently), and if you want to see my gallery on ephotozine you will get some idea of what the quality is like.

See my King Alfred Statue photo - it's one I sold to a book designers and taken with the S5000!

Raziel

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,897
    FWIW:

Assuming a half-decent camera, a 3mp image

a) will produce adequate results if printed at sizes up to about A4 and is more than adequate at smaller sizes.

b) is four times too big (2x x 2x) than necessary for viewing on a PC monitor running at 1024x768 (which many do).

FWIW, because I typically print at A5 or smaller, and view on a 1024x768 monitor, I use my 3mp camera (a Pentax) set to save shots at 1024x768. This is 0.8mp approx. It also quadruples the number of shots I can fit on my chip. Only if I know that a given photo will be printed much larger (or a crop taken from the middle and enlarged), do I change it to use all its pixel resolution.

10. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nigel, great to hear someone talking sense for a change on Megapixels "actually" required :thumbsup: