3 major prerequistes for a DVD recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by zoot, Dec 3, 2003.

1. zoot

zoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi peepsies :hiya:

I need.

1) To Archive a few hundred hours of VHS films ( shop bought )
    2) To be able to record off Air/Sky ( Not got Sky + )
    3) To be able to watch a DVD / TV prog while recording.
    4) To be able to play recordings ( on which ever meduim ) on friends DVD players

DVD camcorder connection useful, but not a priority.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations, and if you have time, would you please explain why you recommend a particular recorder.

PS please dont use dvd "jargon" ...i'm very DVD noobic :suicide:

2. bobones

bobones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    1) Need a time base corrector. Panasonics and others have this. Heard the Philips (+) machines weren't great for vcr dubbing because they lack decent tbc, but I'm not sure.
    2) Best to have RGB input for recording sky. This rules out a number of machines (JVC for one).
    3) Any recorder should allow you to watch another tv channel or a dvd played in a different player. DVD-RAM (Panasonic/JVC) and DVD-RW (only on Pioneer machines so far) can even allow you to watch a previous recording while still recording.
    4) Without the aid of a hard disk recorder or PC burner, only DVD+RW can be edited and then played on other machines. Even then compatibility is far from guaranteed. If you don't care about editing out adverts and the like, dvd-r without a PC or HD would suffice

Best machine overall I'd say would be Panasonic HS2 because it has a HD which would allow you to make edited copies to dvd-r for your mates. (DVD-R is the most compatible of all formats). The HS2 also has options for connecting a DV camera.

If cost is a major factor you'll need to do without the HD. In this case the Panasonic E50 and E60 should be considered (the E60 has i-link camcorder connection). If you don't really care about precise editing, trick playback features and possible problems with VHS dubbing, one of the Philips DVD+ recorders could be for you.

I'm sure you'll get some other opinions too :)

3. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Due to your 3rd constraint, I would say that your best bet would be an Panasonic HS2, which is a hard disc recorder and also DVD-RAM and DVD-R recorder. It costs about £550.

I'm sure it allows you to watch a dvd while recording.

If you only have sky for TV and only one digibox then no recorder will allow you to watch one tv channel while watching another channel. This is a pityful restriction which is totally Sky's doing. You can however upgrade your satellite LNB (the bit the dish focuses on) to a double or quad one and buy a second digibox.

If you have a large sky subscription it might be cheaper to pay the £200 for a Sky+ box and get a Panny E50 -RAM and -Recorder for £230 or a bit more gets you the E60 with camcorder connection. That would allow you to watch 2 channels at once, record 2 channels at once or watch one channel while recording an other. You would also be able to watch a DVD while recording 2 channels etc, etc. Or in conjunction with a Philips model it would allow you to share rewritable discs.

Archiving VHS would be best on write once discs and so -R is the best choice, being slightly more compatible and cheaper than +R.

You should avoid any recorder that doesn't have RGB in as they will not produce good recordings directly from Sky. That leaves you with a choice of only Panasonic, Philips and Sony units.

4. Miles

Miles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another vote for the HS2 - just bought this and it's a great machine for archiving VHS to the Hard disk, doing a bit of editing on them and copying to DVD r.

Has a DV Camcorder iLink

You can play back DVD while recording to the Hard Disk (but if it's multiregion you cant watch a non PAL disk while recording to the Hard Disk) Region 2s will be fine.

5. zoot

zoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a million you guys ( gals ? ) . I see by my requirements, that i've narrowed down the search for myself, judging by your recommendations.
    I see this as a good thing, as too much choice can mess with ones brain cells. :zonked:

Its definately looking like a HDD plus DVD-r .

Now then peepsies....lest say i opt for the HS2...when recording not using HDD, but one of the other mediums ...DVD-RAM or DVD-R , which one is for what purposes ?
    I.E. when do i choose -RAM , and when to choose -R ?

PS Has anyone got anymore info on this new JVC ?
    http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http://www.avforums.com/forums/index.php?

EDIT, i just realised my thread title says 3 requirements of a DVD Rec,...then go and post 4. :clown:

6. CLH

CLH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I count 4!

7. pio5100h

pio5100h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    zoot,
    There is no best choice.
    It all depends on YOUR needs, preferences and expectations.
    e.g. I knew the pannys have *A LOT* of followers (and not without technical and many other reasons).
    I went for another brand/make, mainly because of the look-n-feel of it.
    Have no regrets.
    :smashin:

8. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The difference between Ram and -r is that -r is write once. Ram is like a mini hard-disk as you can edit etc.

9. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Don't forget that many vhs tapes have copy protection and can't be recorded by the hs2 without resorting to special expensive leads etc. Disney videos are particulary difficult to get around the protection.

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    VHS copy protection?? Macrovision, A bug lead is under £20 from lektropacks or just get a modded HS2

11. zoot

zoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What make did you choose pio ? Does it have what i need --- HDD plus DVD -RAM DVD-R?

Er...so why does the HS2 , that already has a HDD, need another "mini HDD " like -RAM ?

Good point , never thought of that. But i'm thinking its not illegal to "back uP / archive " stuff i have already paid for ?
    Just need the right gear to get past the protection i spose ..

And as if by magic - !! Thanks Dragon.

12. pio5100h

pio5100h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    zoot,
    As you could have guessed from my nick, I got a pioneer 5100h.
    It does not support DVD-RAM, but DVD-RW instead.
    DVD-RW is not (yet) supported by many machines.
    But if you have a HDD combo, there is less need for DVD-RAM
    I really love the Pioneer, but your needs may be different.
    Read though the past postings here and it'll make your choice easy.
    :hiya:

13. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    You probably already know but if you get Skyplus it has an
    S-Video output which works well into recorders such as JVC DR-M1 which have no RGB input. :cool:

14. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A HDD device is best as he will be able to edit all the unrequired content from the vhs recordings speedily then leave the edited product to copy over to dvd.A non HDD will need real time sitting in front of the machine.
    RGB is the best,better than s-video for recording off Sky.Only Panasonic offer a HDD/DVDR with RGB in.And theres the bonus of being able to play a dvd while doing the vhs -hdd copying.

15. zoot

zoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again you guys. Its really looking like an HS2, tho i would still like to see what that JVC looks like. I found the post by PIO by searching the forums before i asked my original questions. Its just that maybe the JVC will be significantly cheaper and do all the things this HS2 thing will do...

I'm not holding my breath tho :nono:

All answers greatly appreciated, because no doubt you Gurus have heard/ replied to all this before :smashin:

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Ram in HS2 is superb for recording things like Rugby world cup, record games over weeken on to ram, copy 1st and 2nd half to HDD the archive to DVD-R for the grand kidss!! (can put it ono HDD but why, you can take ram out of machine and keep it safe. If you tried to get the whole world cup onto HDD it would get rather full and you would then have all your eggs in one basket!

17. jda

jda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The JVC DRM1 in Japan is about 57,000 Yen (305 UKP) here it should be available for under 300 UK pounds.

I've seen the DRMH5 (with HD) for 113,000 Yen and if it translates the same would make it around 600 UK pounds.

That would put it close to the extremly discounted HS2 and way cheaper than all the other HD models by Panasonic/Pioneer.

If anyone can read Japanesse then there are loads of pages about the DRMH5 in Japanesse.

Specs: 120G HD, -RAM -RM -R (much like DRM1 + HD) but...

The main qusetions will be
    1) RGB input (DRM1 only has S-Video)
    2) When will it come here is the biggggg question!!!!!!!

Nearly got one (DRM1) on Monday but suddenly (after being told on the phone they would) they decided not to price match, since I spotted it 70 UKP cheaper in a local shop!!!!!!!!!!! (Both Richer Sounds & Comet)

Jim

18. calscot

calscot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HS2 is the cheapest HDD with RGB in. If you don't want to compromise your sky recording quality RGB is essential.

The RAM comes into it's own when you have a PC with RAM writer and want to do more advanced editing and cool menu screens etc. I think you can do high speed dubbing from HDD to RAM.

19. zoot

zoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone - great advice , and in a language i could understand it !!:zonked:

You've been a great help :smashin: