1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 Green Blobs & a red one on AE100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by KUMB, Feb 18, 2003.

1. KUMB

KUMB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Having just passed the 100 Hour milestone, with great trepidation I dutifully followed the Panasonic manual and carefully removed the filter for cleaning. Having read numerous other posts I was extra careful. On removal I was pleased to see that the filter was remarkably dust free so I gave it a gentle blow and replaced it back into the PJ. When I turned the projector on without the DVD switched on I faced the usual black(ish) screen with 3 what appeared to be pale greenish fist sized blobs and 1 paler redish blobs. These blobs are not visible when tested against the solid red, blue or green screens within the service menu so I am guessing not a pixel problem. When a DVD is played the blobs are only visible against a dark background but with a 2:35 ratio (black bars visible) film the blobs are more apparent as they are on a blackish background.
    My PJ is approx 10ft from a 6ft wide 16:9 Draper Luma screen and the blobs are towards the bottom left hand side of the projected image each about 6 to 7 inchs in diameter. Has anyone got any advice?

2. ferris57

ferris57
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I found this in a review page, it might be relevant:

"When dust settles on the internal optics of a projector, it creates image glitches in red, green or blue, depending on the bit of the projector the dust is fouling.

Dust glitches like these are well off the normal focal plane of the projector; when the projector output is in focus, the glitches are deeply out of focus. This is a good thing, of course; it means small coloured dots spread out into functionally invisible blobs, and the problem goes away.

If a glitch is big enough, though, it can remain visible as a fuzzy coloured circle. This is especially likely of glitches on the green panel, because the eye is more sensitive to green than it is to red or blue.

The review projector had two green glitches big enough to be visible when its output was in focus. They were still quite dim, and only significant against background video (as opposed to a no-signal black screen) in an almost completely dark room. But they were there."

3. norbert

norbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andy

You may get more luck posting this in the LCD Projector forum (a moderator may move it for you). Can't help with your problem I'm afraid - mine has the 'colour uniformity' problem instead! Panasonic have had mine since November for repair (although thankfully they left me with a loan unit in the meantime).

Good luck.

Regards

Richard

4. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thread moved to correct forum.

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,067
    Yep, dust in the optics. Most likely resting on the LCD panels.

Take it apart and blow it clean with a compressed air can (buy one from Maplins). Make sure the liquid gas is fully evaporated ie that no liquid reaches the LCDs. Try it out on a mirror or window first.

6. charlie

charlie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Posted here with a similar problem to that described above, in that certain colours cause image glitches.

Still a bit confused as to whether it is a dust or a pixel problem, as it does seem to be localised on one specific pixel, but copes with the service menu test no problem.

Hardly a significant problem, but may as well give the panels a cleam as described above. How easy is it to take apart to gain access to the panels, and what other precautions should I take other than to make sure that there is no liquid coming out of the air can, and obviously do this in as dust free environment as possible?

TIA

Charlie

7. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,676
    Andy,

I too have 2 green blobs that I only see against a black background. It is my belief that this is dust on teh LCD panels. Did you manage to clean yours? Is there any skill involved in doing it? Is it as simple as a can of air and a screwdriver?

Hope you get it sorted

Donnacha

8. KUMB

KUMB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Donnacha
    I haven't been brave enough to open the box. My PJ is not even 3 months old yet so I have been in contact with Panasonic through my retailer and I am awaiting a response but not holding my breath!

9. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871
    i have cleaned the panels on my ptae twice now, its very easy to do and should take no more than 10 minutes.

Just unscew all the screws at the bottom of the projector being carefull not to chew the screw heads and the lid comes straight off, sit the unit on its side and keeping the can of air upright point the nozzle into the holes where the 3 copper coloured cables are and blast the air in for a few secs in at each panel. (clean the nozzle first by giving a few blast away from the projector to make sure no liquid will come out)

10. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,676
    Chic,

I'll give it a blast (no pun intended) at the weekend. It sounds simple, so that should suit me!!