Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

3 diff outputs to 1 Svhs input

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by cutes6, Mar 4, 2001.

1. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Help please !!! I have a normal vcr with standard Scart output and Sat box with Rgb output and a Dvd with Svhs output.Is it possible to buy a box of tricks that will take these 3 different in puts and produce a single Svhs output for my projector.It would be nice if this box exists if I could control the switching with a Pronto.What would a 7 to 10 mtr length of good quality Svhs cable cost and what cable would you recomend for the same length of normal composite cable
    Thanks in advance

------------------
    A sucker for Toys !!

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +275
  3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,823
    Cables: I use a 10m S-video cable to run from my players/amp to my projector. It as "Prowire by Vinvanco" cable, bought ex stock from a Sony centre in Leeds for £35. It's fine.

Another good source for cables is Lektropacks.

As for switching sources - I use my Home Cinema aplifier for this purpose - all equipment outputs routed into the Amp - the amp video output is routed to my TV and projector; audio goes to the speakers (surprise).

If you really need a separate switching box - again, Lektropacks have a range.

4. Jagular

Jagular

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Thanks for your replies guys I am very gratefull.I live near Leeds so I will give those guys a ring about the cable.Will the quality of the svhs output differ from a normal scart input as opposed to a rgb/scart input? Perhaps if I list my equipment somebody might advise me of the best setup just incase I am missing something here.

Projector with 1 @ composite and 1 @ svhs input
    Sky sat box with 2 @ normal scart and 1 @ composite output
    Pioneer 636 dvd with 1 @ svhs and 2 @ scart output(1 is rgb but no rgb link through ?)
    Sony vhs with 2 @ scart and 1 @ composite output
    Sony strdb 925 amp with separate buses for composite and svhs inputs/outputs.

Are there leads which I can buy that have scart at one end and svhs at the other and then I can use the amp to do the switching assuming it does this on the svhs bus system

Sorry for going on and I am probably just confusing myself even more and I need to be put straight, Thanks

------------------
    A sucker for Toys !!

6. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Yes its me again there was one more thing what is the best coaxial cable to use for about a 25mtr run to the projector to recieve channel 3 as Sky havnt got there finger out yet,thanks

------------------
    A sucker for Toys !!

7. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +275
    I think your best bet would be to do as Nigel has done and route everything through your amp and connect its s-video and composite outputs to the corresponding inputs of the projector.

You have two options with your digibox:
    1) Connect the lower quality composite output to the amp or;
    2) Use a RGB to s-video converter (£60-80) to connect to your amp.

Personally, I would choose option 2 as there is a significant difference between composite and s-video.

Cheers,
    Liam

------------------
    "Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability."