1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 day old 50pv500 contrast problem - pls read before referring me to the sticky

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by dayioglu, Oct 25, 2005.

1. dayioglu

dayioglu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello guys

I just bought a panasonic 50pv500 which was installed last Saturday. I am noticing color changes while viewing and it does not matter what I watch, cable, satellite, dvd. I have visited the threads about the contrast problem here, they are great, but they do not give a solution. one thread says it is a fault and the unit needs to be changed and another thread says it is a known issue with panasonic and can be solved with good tuning. If so what pray tell are those setting that will make this contrast change go away? any help will be appreciated, this is giving me headaches.

2. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Do you have it in dynamic mode?

3. dayioglu

dayioglu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it used to be when it came in, but after reading the break-in advice here I changed it to normal and but the contrast and brightness below 50%, I must say I noticed this contrast problem more when I did these. before that I had not noticed it at all when it was in dynamic with contrast and brightness pumped high

4. Jim_Fear

Jim_Fear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Any other settings you changed?

5. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    put it back in dynamic mode then..?

6. dayioglu

dayioglu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can put it back in dynamic but it has 18 hours on it yet and they are advising quite strongly against putting the unit on dynamic for the first few hundred hours here

I played around with colour management thinking it would have an effect but putting it on on or off does not seem to make much of a difference.

7. kamaran

kamaran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    You could........

leave it in Dynamic mode and only watch channels without logo's or DVD's for 200 hours (I believe High Contrast/Brightness only increases the likelyhood of screen retention with static images).

Or you could.....

Send it back

8. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    dynamic mode will dramatically reduce the panels life, its like driving a car on a motorway in first gear at 8000rpm all its life.

9. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Colour change is not the same as the contrast change feature of the 500. If you mean that when watching something on the screen which say moves from dark to light then the screen tries to ensure optimum contrast for that scene which you may notice as a darkening or lightening of that sceen. At least thats my take on the CATS system.

10. dayioglu

dayioglu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it really is not something like that. last night I was watching a quite dull japanese movie where there is no action at all, just some guys sitting and sipping their tea, and the background and the colors of their faces kept fading and getting back to normal....and this is on dvd

11. dayioglu

dayioglu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it really is not something like that. last night I was watching a quite dull japanese movie where there is no action at all, just some guys sitting and sipping their tea, and the background color and the colors of their faces kept fading and getting back to normal....and this is on dvd..the only thing I can say is that the movie was a dark movie and this color change is more evident when the scenes are dark