1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 centre speakers at the front

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by narcoticsuite, Jul 7, 2005.

1. narcoticsuite

narcoticsuite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone tried this? Any good?

2. the mechanic

the mechanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    It is written that for the best sound reproduction, it is advisable to use identical speakers all round in a surround sound set-up.
    It is especially recommended that the front three are matching (usually from the same manufacturer), so by using identical centre speakers for the L/C/R then the sound, as it pans across them will stay consistant and not fade in/out as it would if using say a different centre to the main L/R speakers.
    Also a lot would depend on what centre speakers are being used. If small,bass shy models are used then stereo only reproduction could suffer. Home cinema use (with a subwoofer), however should'nt suffer too badly as long as your AV amp/receiver allows you to select a frequency crossover compatible with the frequency range of the speakers being used.
    What centres are you considering? and what does the rest of your system consist of? This info would be helpful and allow us here on the forums something to go on and help with advice.

All the best,

Graham.

3. narcoticsuite

narcoticsuite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, sorry about the lack of detail to my post, and thanks for replying. The reason I am considering this is that I've currently got an AE Evo centre and wanted to get the Evo 3s. However, I just haven't got the space and so was going to go for the Evo 1s shelf mounted. However, just worried that the Evo 1s won't be any good shelf mounted even though they are a "bookshelf" speaker, as they are rear ported and thus I would imagine wouldn't like being too close to a wall. On the AE website they are selling Aesprit 307 centre speakers for about £60 (B stock), and so was thinking of getting 3 of those across the front of my system as that would be a cheap option, and as they are front ported I would imagine they'd perform better close to a wall than Evo 1s. I have noticed however that their frequency response isn't the greatest basswise and i will want them for music and movies, so will probably go for the Evo 1s. Anyone got the Evo 1s shelf mounted?