3 AAA battery device in to mains?

Raging Beard

Not sure where in the forums this belongs, but is there a way to wire a device that takes 3 AAA batteries in to the mains (UK)?

Thanks

Gavtech

Administrator
There may be if it has been designed for the option... by having a DC input socket. Or there is the 'by proxy' method of using rechargeable batteries.

It may help your enquiry if you state what the device is.

Mains adaptors are easily and cheaply available. Any adaptor needs to match the Voltage and current demand of the load.. albeit 4.5V ( equivalent to three AAA's ) is a very unusual adaptor voltage.

Methods of wiring connection, ( direct or via 'fake' batteries) would depend on your knowledge and skill.

Safety factors should be taken into account depending on the nature of the device.

Raging Beard

It's this: Hot Toys | Iron Man Mark VII Bust | Iron Man 3

Sadly it has no input socket and rechargeable batteries will just be a constant hassle lol.

I wish to run it from mains for 2 reasons; one so of course I never have to concern myself with baterries, and two because I'd like to plug it in to one of my remote sockets so I can turn it on or off with my lights as and when desired.

My wiring ability is pretty good, I'm a deft hand with a soldering iron :)

Cheers

Gavtech

Administrator
I assume one of these set to 4.5v Maplin 12W Linear AC/DC Multi Voltage Power Supply : Multi Voltage Power Supplies : Maplin Electronics

Snip the end off and establish which wire is which, but what's the best way of connecting it to the item? Open it up or can I somehow connect in to the battery compartment?
Without knowing the current consumption of the device it is impossible to say for certain that this adaptor is OK ... but it more than likely is. 1000mA is moderately hefty so it should cope with most normally encountered purposes.

The best approach is circumstantial and is just a case of using your judgement based on what the actual circumstances are in the battery compartment.
Presumably you will have to relieve the cover in some way to admit passage of the incoming wire ... then solder either direct to the battery terminals or some associated copper land if you have access to it.

You need to be certain of polarity before connecting of course.

Contriving some cable strain relief might be a good idea too.

Top Bottom