3.5mm to optical audio cable advice please

TomBowyer

Standard Member
Hi,
I have a 3.5mm jack output on my laptop which appears to double as both a stereo headphones and a digital optical output.

I therefore think I need a 3.5mm to toslink (optical) cable to go to my amp. Can anyone confirm this is correct (is it common to have a 3.5mm optical output?).

If so can anyone reccomend a cable for me, Ive read that as the signal is digital quality doesnt matter, not sure id be happy plugging in a £2 cable to the system though..

Thanks,
Tom.

ben.bayliss

The cable doesn't matter so long as it's built ok. That doesn't need to cost any more than £2-5 for a short cable.

If you prefer, you could buy a regular optical cable, and use a TOSLink -> mini toslink adaptor. They cost around £1.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
A few I've bought over the years actually came with the 3.5 adapter included. Although I've never used one as I don't have kit that needs it. Shame I've no idea where they've gone as I would have posted one for the cost of a stamp.

I tend to try and avoid adapters, in this case I'd go for an adapter. At least you then have a normal optical cable for future use as other than laptops (and minidisc recorders if you remember them) not many things use the 3.5 optical connecter

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom