1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3.5mm splitter question.

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Eeknay, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Eeknay

Eeknay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey there. Today I bought some Logitech 5.1 speakers (X-530, and although they plug into the subwoofer using RCA jacks, the front right speaker outputs everything via three 3.5mm stereo jacks... and on my TV, I only have one stereo jack. Now, I checked eBay for a possible adapter to buy, and although they have 3.5mm splitters with two jacks, I need one with three (two front speakers, two back speakers, and center channel). So do they exist? And if so, where I can I buy one from?

Also I guess the other question is, would my 5.1 actually work this way? I've tested each individual speaker, and although they work as a single unit when plugged into the tv, when the sound is split three ways will I hear the effect?

Many thanks in advance.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I think the advertising for these speakers is a little misleading - most people think of "Dolby Digital" when they see 5.1 (well, I do anyway), and these speakers only do Dolby surround. Given the low price, it would be silly to expect more, though.

Have a look at Maplin Electronics for your 3.5mm adaptor. Since the speakers only need to be fed from a stereo source, I don't see why it shouldn't work. If you live near a large city, you should be able to find a Maplin store, and avoid the P & P charges.

3. Eeknay

Eeknay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply. To be honest, I'm not really clued up on the different aspects of Dolby Digital, THX etc... I don't really have an idea of the differences, pros/cons etc. The main reason I bought the speakers was to take advantage mainly of surround sound even in it's basic form with my DVDs.

As for Maplin, I checked there and they only do splitters for two connectors, not three.

4. harrison99

harrison99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not buy two splitters and plug them together - bingo three sockets!