3.5" HDD caddy for Airport Extreme...

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by malk, Aug 16, 2013.

1. malk

malk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Just wondering really,..
    I have a 1TB 3.5" drive,i normally go for the 2.5",but this one is out of a Western Digital Mybook live,i really could not get on with the software,how it worked,and the shockingly slow transfer speeds.
    I only wanted it for TM backups,but,my god,the amount of restores i had to do with it,as i had to be "ADMIN" to get the faster speeds,and each time i set it up,something went amiss,and i wasnt ADMIN,so i took the drive out.
    So,im after a cheap(ish) caddy for the drive,ive had one from ebay,but the connection(usb),was really bad,kept losing connection,which in the end fried one of my drives,.
    I was wondering what cases/caddys people use for thier Airport Extreme USB inputs.:)
    Oh,a USB powerd one,would be perfect,but i cant seem to see one..is it because its the 3.5"?

2. CamFire

CamFire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    The AEBS will NOT support a USB-powered device - not even a 2.5" external USB drive.

3. malk

malk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Eh?
    Ive got a 1TB 2.5"drive in there now(usb driven),using half for Movies(via plex),the other half for TM backups.
    I was using a 3.5" before this one(powerd external),but not a big fan of the 3.5 size,that was fine as well,ie getting picked up and used by TM and Plex,but the caddy let me down,very cheap from Ebay.(it wasnt in the AEBS when it failed).
    Maybe ive mis-understood you,but are you saying that an external HDD will not be seen,or be able to be seen,or if seen,used?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  4. CamFire

CamFire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
  5. malk

malk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    I thought "alot"of people used the usb port for TM backups?
    I thought,it was well known that you can plug a drive in,and use it for TM?
    Im still at aloss here.sorry,but they all say you can use a self powerd usb HDD?(apart from last one)
    Again,sorry if im out here,but anyways,im after info about caddys,as my chepo one,proved its cheapo status,just wondering what anyone else is using.(if any????)

6. CamFire

CamFire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    What I am trying to say here is that whatever USB device that gets plugged into the AEBS/TC, the former *must* be self-powered. Many small, portable USB drives are sold as *not* being self-powered - that is, it is just the drive itself. Power is drawn from the USB master/host via the cable, and this is known as "bus-powered".

Obviously, being bus-powered is good for a portable drive, but the AEBS/TC is not specced to support this.

7. malk

malk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Right,so an external powerd caddy isnt supported.
    Weird,i was using one a while ago,seemed OK.
    So, it seems very much impossible to get a 3.5" usb powerd caddy.
    Yup,just had a goood look,no USB powerd 3.5" caddys,not happening.
    I think ill just get a half decent caddy,and plug direct to my MBP for TM,then i can use,the one i have plugged in via USB just for movies.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  8. CamFire

CamFire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    I use bare HDDs via a USB-SATA dock and I found that sometimes the OS will suddenly find the device/volume, corresponding to the HDD connected to the dock, *ejected* and gone "missing" - and forcing me to re-do the whole operation. So reliability of the this HDD caddy is important.

Or perhaps go straight to another complete USB drive and sell off your bare HDD?

9. malk

malk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Yes,seems the best route Cam,(selling off i mean).
    Ive spent a good few hours scouring internet on the subject.
    I personally have had no problem,in using the drive im using now,its kept connection to the network fine,...the problem i did have,was using the USB on the side of my Macbook,i kept getting the connection*knocked out*,and accidently pulled out,as it was such a cheap caddy.,reliabilty is so important,as i have found,not safely ejecting the drive,WILL make them fail,and quite quickly also.
    I have been looking at just the connecters,luckily,the one i am using now,is just that,a connecter,(usb-sata),and an aluminum case....that could be why ive been OK.(im not 100% if its bus powerd or not,but it is VERY basic,and dont think it is,it is just a connecter really,.)
    so,looks like a reformat of 3.5" drive,and then for sale,.
    Blimey,thats another learnering curve i wasnt expecting!
    It does seem ,a few people are quite at ends about this matter(on other forums etc..),and some think it wont matter,if its powerd or not,but when it comes to TM back-ups,i have to be safe really.
    Just looking some more...a few people are using USB hubs,that are powered from the mains,for the extra power needed and extra USB ports.(the Appe Belkin 7in 1).

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  10. ianbuckley

ianbuckley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Just a quickie. Can you please use a space following a , as it is very difficult reading your posts without one.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  11. malk

malk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Yea, sure, hadnt even realized,oh no, this is harder than i thought..