3:2 pullup - what's the score

S

scottcr

I've got a multiregion Sony DVD, RGB out, no component, going into a Panny 5 through RGB "component" input...

should I bother using 3:2 pulldown?

I'm not an expert on the Panasonic series 5 plasmas, as I don't own one (yet), but I would definately make use of the 3:2 pulldown circuit.

As I understand it, on the series 5 displays, the 3:2 detection only works on NTSC (region 1) dvds, so not all sources will benefit.

3:2 pulldown is designed to reduce jagged lines which are visible when movement occurs in a film.

If you have any region 1 dvds, play a scene from one that involves a slow, horizontal pan, such as the scene in chapter 26 of Gladiator, when the camera moves slowly across the arena just before Commodus and Maximus emerge.

With 3:2 pulldown activated, such scenes should look smoother. However, there is a lot of variation in the performance of motion detection chips which are built into displays. Some can look very good, rivaling the performance of a progressive scan dvd player, while others can be quite crude. Hopefully, the 3:2 pulldown on the Panasonic will be good.

Regards,

Bob.

It is enabled by default, and it is as far as I recall entitled '3:2 pulldown detection' and is designed to detect the frame 'sampling ' process used to put 24fps NTSC video into a 60hz refresh display. 3 of 1 frame, 2 of the next, etc. enabling it affects only NTSC material, and should help the display.

Thanks... for some reason my option was off.. however, it may be that my friend who set up the TV disabled it...

I've put it back on and will check it out with some NTSC discs.

Thanks again.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom