1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3:2 pulldown if using interlace??

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by MrNPG, Jun 9, 2005.

1. MrNPG

MrNPG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hi folks,

Got a new Panny DVD player (DVD-S29) today and have connected it to my TH42PE50 using the component connection.

Firstly, this is the first time I have ever used a component connection and I must say that I can barely notice any difference from RGB SCART??

However, for now, I have set the DVD player to 625i (interlace) instead of 625p (prog scan) as I felt that the interlace gave a slightly better PQ. If I stick with interlace, does this mean that I will still notice the 3:2 pulldown "juddering" effect on NTSC discs or will my Panny plasma take care of this?

I was speaking to some guy in Sevenoaks the other day and he said that there are NO plasmas on the market that do the prog scan "trickery" themselves, he said that the DVD player has to do it??? Is this right??

Cheers.

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    in answer to second question, plasmas are natively progressive scan, feed it an interlaced signal and it will de-interlace it and display it progressively. Thats why you see a better picture, although im not familiar with your dvd player, i should think the pq by interlace is better because the viera is doing a better job at de-interlacing.

3. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    3:2 pulldown is done in the DVD player because it is converting a 24fps film source to 30fps. DVD players have to output a 30/60Hz rate to be compatible with a TV dispay.

Now the clever bit is that the DVD player can give you a complete 480p frame at 60 Hz from a film source. This can then be displayed on a progressive plasma display.

4. MrNPG

MrNPG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    So Cliff, does that mean that I will still notice the 3:2 pulldown if I leave my DVD player set to 625i (interlace)? Will I need to change it to 625p if I want to overcome the pulldown?

5. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    OK... 3:2 pulldown is only necessary for NTSC running at a 60Hz frame rate.

If you run a PAL disc the film is speeded up from 24fps to 25fps and problem solved! No pull down conversion necessary. Your DVD player, in progessive mode will output 576p (a full frame x 2 every 25th second)

(I say problem solved - but this means the sound runs a bit faster- but in PAL countries we have lived with this for years just like in the NTSC countries they have lived with jerky 3:2 pulldown for years)

6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,809
    The guy from that shop needs his head felt. There are plenty of plasma's that do film detection let alone basic de-interlacing.....

As has been said. 2:3 is only to do with material recorded progressively(film) then turned in to 60Hz video (ie generally film DVD's from R1). You'll always get the judder of 2:3 with those sources unless you have a clever processor that can throw away the extra repeated frame and then show each of the 24 original frames at either 48Hz or 72Hz or 96Hz. I believe that advanced cinema setting in Pioneer XDE's does the 72Hz trick on 60Hz flm source material. There are external video processors that can also do this.

For PAL we want 2:2 detection. There are actually not lots of plasma's that do this. Some do though. I don't believe Vierra's do, but I haven't checked recently. If your DVD player does you may find that using the progressive output might remove some artefacts in that case.

Gordon

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    This is incorrect. Whilst dvds can have 24p encoded onto them the vast majority of commerially available dvds have 525/60 on them . The 3:2 pullldown sequence is already encoded into the video and the video itself is inherently interlaced. The deinterlacer , either in the player or the display has to detect the 3:2 pulldown sequence and apply the correct deinterlacing to perform a succesful inverse telecine to 24p.

It then normally adds regularly repeated frames to reach whatever refresh rate is required or in the case of most progressive players "allowed".

If you are refreshing at multiples of 24 hopefully you don't get extra additional repeat frames. Regular frame repeats have never really bothered me to be honest so I'm quite happy to run at 60Hz or other refresh rates within reason.