1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3.2 not 5.1

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jedwards, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Jedwards

Jedwards
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have recently set up my Sony HTK-215 amplifier so all 5.1/DTS dvd's can be heard through 5.1/DTS. However, no matter what sound options I have the dvd on, the amplifier only shows that sound is being produced in 3.2 - Can anyone explain to me the difference, or what I am doing wrong?

Many thanks!!

James

2. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It is correct, and just a more elaborate way of indicating the channel configuration. 3/2 or 3/2.1 is the same as 5.1 and simply means there are 3 front channels and 2 surround channels. Take note of the use of a slash instead of a period. :)

The reason for this is that some channel numbers may be ambiguous. 4.0 for instance, could mean the soundtrack has left, center, right, and a mono surround channel, but it could also mean it has left, right, left surround, and right surround channels. In that case, the first could display as 3/1 and the second as 2/2, indicating how the channels are distributed.

3. Jedwards

Jedwards
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perfect, many thanks!!