3.1 with XT32 for my bad room, or just get a soundbar?

It has been months since my last update and I don't know if anyone will even read this, but I'll write it just in case someone does. New equipment and better prices are finally available for me in Singapore!

I can now get these AV receivers (all prices in Singapore dollars):
  • Pioneer VSX-LX305 for a bit under $1200
  • Onkyo NR7100 for a bit under $1400
and am considering the Pioneer (although it has 1 year warranty, vs 2 for the Onkyo).

I can now get these speakers:
  • Kef Q350 ($689) and Q650c ($799)
  • Monitor Audio Silver C250 ($800) (which I would tend to pair with the Bronze 100s, about $900 which is a lot lower than the Silver range)
  • Q Acoustics Concept 20 ($800) and Concept 90 ($950; according to the website it is 3-way)
and all these centres will fit under my TV.

I'll go ask for demos (I did some previously but not for the Kef Qs or QA Concepts) and hope to decide and buy by the end of the year.
I believe my choices will be between (starting with lowest price and going up):
  • Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 with matching centre ($960)
  • Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 "mismatched" with an SVS / Elac / Kef / MA / QA centre
  • Kef Q350 and Q650c ($1500)
  • MA Bronze 100 and Silver C250 ($1700)
  • Q Acoustics Concept 20 and 90 ($1750)

The difficulty will be evaluating which may sound too "bright" in my untreated room. The dealers are totally different for each brand so I will never be able to compare the combinations directly, and it simply won't be possible to return equipment here just because I find it too bright in my room.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Last edited:
It has been months since my last update and I don't know if anyone will even read this, but I'll write it just in case someone does. New equipment and better prices are finally available for me in Singapore!

I can now get these AV receivers (all prices in Singapore dollars):
  • Pioneer VSX-LX305 for a bit under $1200
  • Onkyo NR7100 for a bit under $1400
and am considering the Pioneer (although it has 1 year warranty, vs 2 for the Onkyo).

I can now get these speakers:
  • Kef Q350 ($689) and Q650c ($799)
  • Monitor Audio Silver C250 ($800) (which I would tend to pair with the Bronze 100s, about $900 which is a lot lower than the Silver range)
  • Q Acoustics Concept 20 ($800) and Concept 90 ($950; according to the website it is 3-way)
and all these centres will fit under my TV.

I'll go ask for demos (I did some previously but not for the Kef Qs or QA Concepts) and hope to decide and buy by the end of the year.
I believe my choices will be between (starting with lowest price and going up):
  • Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 with matching centre ($960)
  • Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 "mismatched" with an SVS / Elac / Kef / MA / QA centre
  • Kef Q350 and Q650c ($1500)
  • MA Bronze 100 and Silver C250 ($1700)
  • Q Acoustics Concept 20 and 90 ($1750)

The difficulty will be evaluating which may sound too "bright" in my untreated room. The dealers are totally different for each brand so I will never be able to compare the combinations directly, and it simply won't be possible to return equipment here just because I find it too bright in my room.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Hey! Onkyo and Pioneer are same umbrella so those two models are nearly identical. Pioneer has limitation with global crossovers so one setting for all speakers, but if you stick with 3.1 then it won´t be problem. Just considering living room and if wanting to use smaller surround speakers at some point then this unit is not ideal. Very strange it has only 1yr warranty there, but just make sure you keep the unit in place where it gets plenty of ventilation on top and sides! Otherwise buy some fans pulling off heat esp. as you live in warm country.

The QA Concept 90 is not 3-way, it was mistake from them. The Concept 20 is old model from 2013 and the price is too high so you would want to look the newer Concept 30 with the 90, but i guess the price goes too high. QAs are fairly small though.

I hope you could use the Pioneer in the demo or the Onkyo as they should both sound same. At least one variable less this way. If you call and book the demo time then this might be possible if they stock Pioneer/Onkyo. I think you have some good options in the list and i would be surprised if one of those would become overly bright. You still have Dirac in the avr which let`s you tackle this area too. It`s tricky to get perfect idea in shop as the room acoustics will be different, but you will still get something out of it for sure. Keep us posted!

What about the subwoofer?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom