3.1 with 7.1 Amp (Yamaha)

karluk29

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi All

this maybe a very amateur question, i have a yamaha RX-V479 running a 5.1 setup in the bedroom already with music cast which is fine, i am in the process of putting a new system in the living room and want to go for style of substance a little ha ha.

Anyway im looking into getting a Yamaha RX-V679 (so i can use music cast between them) as i have found one "cheap cheap" but its 7.1 and i only want to run 3.1 with KEF T301's. will the YPAO setup automatically sort out that its only 3.1 and not 7.1 & do the setup accordingly?

Thanks

Yes! Just set the amp assign settings to match your speaker set up and layout.

You are not obligated to utilise all of the integral amplification for all of the possible channels. You can have anything ranging from a 2 channel stereo setup up to and including a 7.1 surround speaker setup. The receiver will simply downmix audio with more channels than you've speakers present to portray.

I'd be less inclined to include a centre speaker if only accompanying it with a pair of stereo speakers. You may as well just use the stereo speakers sans the centre speaker.

thanks for the answers

i have ordered the t301's & t301c now. oh well.

i assume the voices will still come out the centre though? will use the upstairs sub for now till i buy a KEF to match

thanks for the answers

i have ordered the t301's & t301c now. oh well.

i assume the voices will still come out the centre though? will use the upstairs sub for now till i buy a KEF to match

centre channel audio will still be output via the centre speaker in instances whereby you are upmixing stereo audio or where the discrete audio coming into the AV receiver includes a centre channel. Your left and right speakers however are perfectly able to also portray this and place it centre stage. I'd tend not to upmix stereo content because this may result in you getting too much mono output via the centre speaker and audio sounding less enveloping as a result.

Note that the subwoofer needn't be the same make as the passive speakers. You do not have to tonally match the sub given that the frequencies it handles wouldn't have a distinctive sound to them.

Last edited:
thanks dante01, i never knew that tbh.

as for the sub, it's totally for an "look" really so everything matches, misses understand's if it look "pretty". (must admit though she is happy with tech)

I find that dialogue sounds better with a centre speaker, but you can try it with and without and see what your personal preference is. For movies and TV with stereo audio I upmix with Dolby Surround, and have centre spread switched on, which means the dialogue comes out of the front left and right and centre speakers, all at the same time. Works well for me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom