1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3.1 setup?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by rupbert, Dec 23, 2003.

1. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hey guys, I always assumed that must people either used 2.1 (with sub) or 5.1 (with sub)...

However reading through my Sony STRDB790 setup, it mentions that a 3.1 speaker arrangement can be used, front left/right and a centre speaker...

I am interested in this for DVD playback, as having rear speakers really isn't viable due to room layout.

Does anyone use such a setup, and would a centre speaker increase my movie experience? Or would I be better adding a sub?

If I had the centre speaker, how would this affect 2 channel stereo playback? Or does the centre get ignored? Thing is, for the speaker setup on the receiver, you tell it if its 2.1, 3.1, 5.1 etc...

So if I had a centre, and told it to be 3.1; when I switched to 2 channel mode, will this overide the 3.1 setting?

Receiver: Sony STR-DB790
    Speakers: Tannoy R2's
    DVD: Sony NS305
    TV: Sony 28FX68

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Now that would depend on the speakers used. I see you have some Tannoy R2 and they probably do a fine job with bass (used the old Mercury M2/M3 before myself), but a sub will be like the icing on the cake.
    A center speaker will "lock" the diaglogue to the screen, so it helps if you don't sit right in the middle.

Make sure to match the center to the fronts and don't go cheap on the sub.
    Not sure which I would add first, might depend on your budget.

In stereo playback the center will be ignored and not play any sound.
    Only if you activate e.g. DPL encoding or some DSP mode it might play. And of course if you listen to DD/DTS 5.1 soundtracks.

Not knowing exactly what your receiver will do I would expect this (that it defaults to stereo/2-channel playback). My Yamaha does even though it's configured as a 5.1 system.

3. rupbert

rupbert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Cheers Reiner, I sit pretty central to the screen, so locking the dialogue isn't really a concern...

However in asking the question 'Centre or sub?', I was assuming that a dedicated centre would deal with dialogue much better than the fronts...

I get the Tannoys on Monday, so I shall run them in for a few days, and see if the base is good enough for movies etc...

Thanks again, have a good xmas :)