2x Signal Boosters??

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by rjjordan, Sep 14, 2007.

1. rjjordan

rjjordan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, just joined these forums and I have a question:

I recently moved to a new house and, at the same time, purchased a Sony 32" Bravia HD Ready TV with inbuilt freeview.

The new house had an aerial socket in the lounge so I hooked it up and only got 5 of the 6 multiplexes broadcasting channels, with no ITV or Channel 4 or and the BBC4 picture being very jumpy.

I then went to Maplin and bought a Signal Booster (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=943&criteria=signal booster&doy=14m9) and all the channels appeared! Unfortunately, ITV/Channel 4 are very hit and miss. For some reason the signal is only decent enough to give a signal that isn't jumpy after 8:30pm, and in the afternoon and early evening it barely has a picture at all. This is very annoying on the weekend as cannot watch any of the F1 coverage!!

I am unable to upgrade the aerial as I am in a rented property located in Cathays, so what is the feasability of using 2 signal boosters? Is this likely to make the signal too strong or do you think it will fix this issue?

Grateful for any other suggestions?

2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,293
    Unfortunately, a signal booster works on the same principle as most amplfiers - garbage in, garbage out...

All a signal booster will do to a noisy signal is boost the noise.

Even though it's a rented property, does that definitely preclude you from having the aerial upgraded?

One thing I'd try is to remove the aerial wall plate and fit an F-Connector to the end of the cable and to your RF downlead. You can then - using a coupler - connect your cable directly to the cable in the house. The wall plates are often poorly designed and very lossy.

Steve

3. qwert-e

qwert-e

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    most freeview boxes have a screen where you can see the 'signal strength' and 'signal quality'. a booster would help the signal strength if its low, but not the quality. what does you box say for the dodgy channels?

4. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I use two signal boosters to obtain all 86 channels. With Only one booster I lose the Five TV mux, with two boosters fitted one after the other I get the lot. Reasonable quality until the weather gets bad - rain and wind then I lose both five TV and the ITV/Ch.4 mux.

But I can get these fine from the Welsh transmitter at Moel-Y-Parc - but even this requires one booster fitted to the original HTV 18 element aerial. Roll on 2009 (which is the analogue switchoff and freeview signal boost year).

http://www.maxview.co.uk/acatalog/TV_AMPLIFIERS_&_FILTERS.html

5. rjjordan

rjjordan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The TV indicates that the signal strength is low, but then slightly stronger in the evening.

Located in Cardiff I am unfortunately situated between 2 transmitters - one to the South West (Wenvoe) that is obstructed by a number of buildings and hills, and one to the East (Mendip) that is much further away over the river Severn, but has a clear line of transmission. Our aerial is pointed at the second, so the signal could just be poor due to the sheer distance the signal is travelling(?).

With regards to the aerial, our landlady said that we would be required to pay for any upgrade and sort it out ourseleves, which isn't really worth it as we'll be moving house next Summer.