1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2x REL subs vs Velodyne CHT-15

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by Smurfin, Sep 10, 2002.

1. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    I currently have a REL strata II and REL Q-bass 50, which is a (surprisingly) superb combo in my set-up.

I'm curious to know if a single velodyne CHT-15 would outperform my duo of RELS? Would it go deeper, be punchier etc?

I find my system sounds great as it is, and the REL combo gives a smooth bass, although not always as "tight" as it could be.

Whilst I am happy with it....I want something which will give an altogether deeper sound.

It's a difficult one to judge, as I can't get a demo anywhere (but read that the velodyne rocks from people on this forum), and you can't compare the new RELs with the old;)

Any advice?

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +894
    Hi

It is a tough one. The Velodyne CHT15 is a superb sub. I went from a Rel Q200 to the Velodyne and it comfortably outperforms the Rel, much cleaner, tighter bass. In terms of low depth there´s not a huge difference between the two but the Velodyne does have the edge and goes lower. What you don´t get with the Velodyne, thanks to its Current Sensing Servo, is a lot of distortion.

I can´t compare the CHT15 to a Rel Strata II & Q bass either but I can compare it to a Rel Q200 and a Paradigm PS1000 that are running in my fathers setup, the Velodyne is clearly superior on all counts.

The only way you´ll know would be to arrange a demo but you´d have to have a chat with Uncle Eric, not sure if he currently has any CHT15´s available without ordering one first.

Cheers:)

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    There was actually an article on this topic by Adam Rayner in HCC about 4 years ago or so. It was 2 x REL Q 50's vrs a big boy Velodyne. In the end he liked the spread of the two subs, but went for the big, bad sound of the one Velodyne for it's abilities and said save up for another!!!!!:D

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    heh I have that article too:D

Uncle Eric....got any views on this? [or anyone please!]

5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I too have two Q Bass subs and really like them. I was going for the dual Paradigm sub approach. In the end, the 2nd one came up for sale, (cheers Ian), and I went for that, saved me money.

Search out the posts on the Paradigm Servo subs and you'll read stacks of sub opinions/information from the likes of Steve Ex and others. Very useful.

It will help you decide what to do, but it'll have in a muddle over which ones to buy!

In the end, if you feel physically sick with your subs up and running, I'd say you're there.:D

6. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A Velodyne in the hand is worth two (Rels) in the bush :rolleyes:

Eric

7. GJC

GJC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Careful you could get your 'Rels' burnt.:eek:

8. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    As a general rule i would tend to opt for two SLIGHTLY lesser sub's rather than a single Slightly superior unit personally. I think the advantages of a twin sub set-up (even in a small room) out-way the alternatives
    You will benefit from increased headroom, better dirving of the room in relation to room acoustics and easier positioning potential amoungst other things

Steve

9. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Identical subs, yes.

10. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    My two RELs, although different, do integrate well.

11. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All things being equal, not as well as had they have been identical. Think about this carefully.

12. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    They sound good to my ears, which is of course the most important thing.

But without a doubt thats because I don't know any different!

I'm in a semi-detached house so bass has to be controlled and only occasionally can I let rip:D

I'm so tempted by the HGS range....but err they're a little out of my price range.