2tb NAS backup terribly slow......am i doing something wrong?

Alexhaden

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just looking for some advice. I have a LG nas, setup in raid 1 (2x 2tb)

I have been working through my DVDs ripping them to MKV to use via the nas on my WD TV, and realised that raid isn't a backup solution....go on, I know..... Noob!

Anyway, I have plugged in an external 2tb drive into the nas, and am currently backing it up, and Comodo says its going to take 3 days!!!! To do 1.7Tb of data, which seems a terribly long time. So I'm thinking I must be doing something wrong???

If I'm going to have a regular full backup, and then weekly incremental ones, should I configure the NAS as jbod, and back that up?

What benefits does raid give other than hardware redundancy in raid 1 and is it worth it if all I'm using it for is streaming?

The second question is anyone know why its sooooo slow...? It's wired network, 1gb on the nas and the pc. I know it will be transferring to the pc to send it back to the USB on the nas, and is limited to USB speeds, but it looks like its going around 9mb a second, which doesn't sound right?

What I'm thinking now is,

1. Re configure the nas as 2 x 2tb volumes and backup the data to the 2nd volume? Shouldn't that give better data security?
2. Forget the 2tb USB hdd as a backup medium.

Any help, suggestions or laughter greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

Anyway, I have plugged in an external 2tb drive into the nas, and am currently backing it up, and Comodo says its going to take 3 days!!!! To do 1.7Tb of data, which seems a terribly long time. So I'm thinking I must be doing something wrong???

Plugged in where and using what kind of interface (USB, ethernet, etc.)

If I'm going to have a regular full backup, and then weekly incremental ones, should I configure the NAS as jbod, and back that up?

Doesn't make much difference. Technically, and depending on your RAID controller, mirror or striped disc throughput should be a bit quicker ('cos blocks can be read from two discs simultaneously.) Of course you'll get more storage with a JBOD (or RAID 0) array.

What benefits does raid give other than hardware redundancy in raid 1 and is it worth it if all I'm using it for is streaming?

Pretty much. If a disc dies, you can still get your data whilst you replace it and generally won't have to go through a restore from backup when you do.

The second question is anyone know why its sooooo slow...? It's wired network, 1gb on the nas and the pc. I know it will be transferring to the pc to send it back to the USB on the nas, and is limited to USB speeds, but it looks like its going around 9mb a second, which doesn't sound right?

I think it's likely to be the USB interface that's the bottleneck (without checking the specs of your box.) Or maybe the performance of you target HDD. Or maybe your NAS simply doesn't have the horsepower to cope.

What I'm thinking now is,

1. Re configure the nas as 2 x 2tb volumes and backup the data to the 2nd volume? Shouldn't that give better data security?
2. Forget the 2tb USB hdd as a backup medium.

Not really. If you NAS goes toast, you've still lost all your data. Without using RAID 1, if you drop a disk, esp. if it's the "primary," you've got to restore from backup. With RAID 1, if you drop a disk, you don't loose access to your data whilst you get around to replacing it and (usually) when you install the replacement the RAID controller gets on with re-mirroring automatically and you don't have to bother with all that restoring from backups.

At it's best, wired ethernet can move of the order of 10-12 MB/s (Megabytes per second) over 100mbps "fast" ethernet and 100-120 MB/s over 1000mbps "gigabit" ethernet when doing SMB/CIFs type file copying operations.

1/7 tb == 1,700,000 MB
@ 10 MB/s == 170,000 seconds == 2,833 minutes == 47 hours
Sounds like you're in that line of country. Are you sure you're infrastructure is running at Gigabit..?

Last edited:
Hi thanks for the quick reply.

I'm sure it's gigabit LAN, nas and network card In pc both reporting that and using cat 5, so I'm guessing it has to be limited by the USB drive attached to the LG nas.

I suppose it could be that the NAS is just slow?

http://m.lg.com/uk/it-products/network-storage/LG-network-storage-N2B1.jsp

I'm thinking now as it's probable the issue is down to the USB interface, it might be best to crack open the 2tb USB enclosure, and install the drive in my PC? And back up to that drive?

Or just leave it running for 3 days a month?? Or 1 full backup and 11 incrementals?

Lol, who said computers were easy??

By the way, thanks for your help , much appreciated.

Hi thanks for the quick reply.

I'm sure it's gigabit LAN, nas and network card In pc both reporting that and using cat 5, so I'm guessing it has to be limited by the USB drive attached to the LG nas.

I suppose it could be that the NAS is just slow?

http://m.lg.com/uk/it-products/network-storage/LG-network-storage-N2B1.jsp

I'm thinking now as it's probable the issue is down to the USB interface, it might be best to crack open the 2tb USB enclosure, and install the drive in my PC? And back up to that drive?

Or just leave it running for 3 days a month?? Or 1 full backup and 11 incrementals?

Lol, who said computers were easy??

By the way, thanks for your help , much appreciated.

If you look here you will see yours is a very slow NAS: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-charts/view

Also, copying the external drives can be even slower so I'd say thats about right.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Thanks for the help, appreciated.

Backing up to internal drive has reduced time to only 1 day.

Next step? Get a faster NAS!

Next step? Get a faster NAS!

afraid so. i have that nas too and dam. it would be better if memeo recognised it when connected sata but no, too easy that would be :rolleyes: :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom