• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

2TB 3.5 sata in external case only shows 6.99mb

6Antique9

Established Member
Why does the 2TB hard drive only show 6.99mb. I have this WD 2TB purple hard drive that came from my cctv set. Rather than waste it I bought a external case, connected to my PC and it only showed this low number.

1598288559553.png

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Assuming it's disk 9 then that looks like the correct amount. Your first screenshot is of the 7mb partition at the end of the drive.

If the other partitions aren't visible in Windows explorer then they're likely formatted in a file system that Windows doesn't have support for.

Depending on what that file system is you might be able to view it through a third party program, and you do have the option to just re-format it with a different file system (which will destroy any files currently on it).

DavidG1

Established Member
If the drive came from a CCTV, it is likely formatted to exFAT or other format windows cannot recognise.
you will need to reformat the drive to allow the drive to be recognised. Initially right click on each partition on the drive (disk 9) and see if windows can reformat the partition to NTFS.
If not you would need to use the diskpart command line tool. I would recommend you read up using this tool before doing anything as it is possible to reformat the wrong drive if you aren’t careful. Google “use diskpart to clean and format a drive”

Last edited:

6Antique9

Established Member
OK, thanks both. I just expected it to show almost 2TB. When I looked in to the properties it was showing NTFS. I am not worried about the data, like I said I didn't want to waste a useable hard drive. Probably best to just sell it.

Thank again for the advice, stay safe

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
OK, thanks both. I just expected it to show almost 2TB. When I looked in to the properties it was showing NTFS. I am not worried about the data, like I said I didn't want to waste a useable hard drive. Probably best to just sell it.

But disk manager does show the drive with the correct space you just need to sort the partitions out. If you right click on each partition on drugs l drive 9, see if the option to delete is there. Then create one new simple volume for the full size and format as ntfs. That should work, if not use diskpart and that will work

MarkE19

ExFAT was developed by Microsoft and is supported by Windows.
I'd guess that DavidG1 meant Linus EXT3 or similar rather than exFAT.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom