2nd zone to another AVR?

R1KEB

Hi, I have recently replace my old Onkyo NR609 with a Denon X3600H and wondered whether it would be possible to use the Denons 2nd zone to another AVR?in this case the Onkyo, so that I can have another 5.1 setup in another room?

thanks in advanced

dante01

Distinguished Member
Yes, you can cionnect the second HDMI zone output to anHDMI input on another AV receiver. THe main room receiver will passthrough the HDMI sources connected to it entact as long as the second AV receiver is able to handle what that source is outputting. THe source would also use the EDID of the least capable device it detects to determine ewhat it can legitimately output.

The Main room AVR is effectively simply acting as an HDMI switch or matrix relative to the second zone HDMI zone output. THe AV receiver doesn't process the audio or the video being output via the second zone HDMI output.

Dobbyisfree

So, a bit like my Nvidia Shield auto senses what sound input the AVR (it's connected to via HDMI) it is capable of, it would do the same?

If I wanted to use another AVR from my x4400 output, I would have to make it at least as capable with sound modes and speakers connected (i.e. up to including DTSMA, TrueHD, Atmos, DTS:X, Auro 3D etc) or it would "downgrade" to whatever the other AVR was?

dante01

Distinguished Member
It is basically just like an HDMI switch. The AV receiver plays no part in the processing of either the video or the audio being passed through it and out via the second zone HDMI output. The AVR is simply acting as a source switch when it comes to its second HDMI zone.

THe detection of the capabilities is common to all HDMI sources and part of the HDMI spec. The source is simply reading the EDID info of the devices connected to it and limits what it will output to the capabilities of the least capable device it detects in the HDMI chain.

The second Zone receiver need not be as capable as the main zone model, but you would want it to be able to handle the video and audio signal you are wanting to convey to it from the source.

You'd obviously not be able to portray Atmos on an older AV receiver, but would still get the 7.1 TrueHD element of that audio package if the AVR includes TrueHD decoding and the associated codec.Denon and Marantz models will not downscale the audio in order to make it suitable for the second zone HDMI destination. THe main room AVR plays no part in the processing of the audio or the video.

All that is happening is that you are using the AVR as a source switch to enable you to share HDMI sources connected to it with another zone. The signal doesn't have to go into another AVR in the second zone and could go straight into a TV, but if you want to portray discrete surround formats then you'd need another AV receiver in that second zone.

Also note that the HDMI source needn't be the same source as that being dealt with in the main room. You can have different sources selected for both the main room and the seconf HDMI zone simultaneously.

Last edited:

R1KEB

Yes, you can cionnect the second HDMI zone output to anHDMI input on another AV receiver. THe main room receiver will passthrough the HDMI sources connected to it entact as long as the second AV receiver is able to handle what that source is outputting. THe source would also use the EDID of the least capable device it detects to determine ewhat it can legitimately output.

The Main room AVR is effectively simply acting as an HDMI switch or matrix relative to the second zone HDMI zone output. THe AV receiver doesn't process the audio or the video being output via the second zone HDMI output.
Thank you
It is basically just like an HDMI switch. The AV receiver plays no part in the processing of either the video or the audio being passed through it and out via the second zone HDMI output. The AVR is simply acting as a source switch when it comes to its second HDMI zone.

THe detection of the capabilities is common to all HDMI sources and part of the HDMI spec. The source is simply reading the EDID info of the devices connected to it and limits what it will output to the capabilities of the least capable device it detects in the HDMI chain.

The second Zone receiver need not be as capable as the main zone model, but you would want it to be able to handle the video and audio signal you are wanting to convey to it from the source.

You'd obviously not be able to portray Atmos on an older AV receiver, but would still get the 7.1 TrueHD element of that audio package if the AVR includes TrueHD decoding and the associated codec.Denon and Marantz models will not downscale the audio in order to make it suitable for the second zone HDMI destination. THe main room AVR plays no part in the processing of the audio or the video.

All that is happening is that you are using the AVR as a source switch to enable you to share HDMI sources connected to it with another zone. The signal doesn't have to go into another AVR in the second zone and could go straight into a TV, but if you want to portray discrete surround formats then you'd need another AV receiver in that second zone.

Also note that the HDMI source needn't be the same source as that being dealt with in the main room. You can have different sources selected for both the main room and the seconf HDMI zone simultaneou

R1KEB

Thank you

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom