1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd thoughts...

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Raze, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have just bought a Toshiba Picture Frame 36ZP46P for £799 (from Currys - was on a special offer as its gone back up to £999 now). However... I'm having second thoughs because HDTV is meant to be released this year in the UK and that as this TV is gonna have to last me at least 2 years (but prob longer) should I have waited and bought a HDTV capable set?

I'm really chuffed with the DVD playback of the set and to be honest that is the main use of the TV. But I'm not sure if a HDTV set will play DVDs any better? If not I'm happy to stay with the 36ZP46P. Basically I'm worried that my brand new set is gonna be outdated in a matter of months :-(

What do you guys rekon? Shall I send the set back and wait or keep it? (I'd be willing to wait around 6 months).
    (I must add that I don't really want to spend more than £800 on a set and would prefer to have a 36"!)

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    That's the problem when buying electronic gear.

There's always something better (and possibly cheaper) on the horizon!

(Computers are the worst. Mine was obsolete before it was delivered, even though it was state-of-the-art when I ordered it. :mad: )

Best plan is to enjoy your current TV now, and look forward to your next one in the future. :thumbsup:

3. Sly Fly

Sly Fly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +640
    Indeed.

I might be talking rubbish, as I have no clue as to whether the following is actually 100% true, :) but I'm guessing that there will be teething problems with the whole HD thing, and some of the technology will be expensive, and recorders of HD material will be initially expensive etc...

So it's worthwhile waiting a couple of years to let things settle down. And although HD will be better, I'm hoping that when I get my 48P I won't be far off the HD mark anyway... ;)

4. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    HDTV from Sky is not due to be released until 2006 at the earliest and even then you'll require a new digibox. By then the technology for HD capable LCDs and CRTs will be much better than they are today. A year or two is a long time in terms of technology development so if you can wait and depending what your Toshiba will be worth in 2 years time I would probably leave it until nearer the time.

Buying a capable HDTV LCD today for instance is going to cost you at least £1500.

5. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    You're not talking rubbish at all, Sly.

The situation you've described pertains to just about every new technology.

I see no reason why HDTV should be any different. :lesson:

6. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Something that Toshiba have said on their website about their Active Vision processing makes me wonder if the 36ZP actually may be a Hi Res set after all..

"Due to the larger memory capacity used in Active Vision picture processing, over 90% more pixels on screen can be used compared to conventional 100Hz systems. This results in greater detail and more accurate colour reproduction especially on sharp edging of lines and objects."

Sure this means a higher resolution TV set if it can display 90% more pixels than your average set? Have Toshiba got some trick up thier sleeves?

The article can be found here: http://www.home-entertainment.toshi...e.nsf/pages/whatis-pf3-trueimage?opendocument

Also, if I were to hook up the PC via the s-video and turn the TV to progressive scan mode, then up the resolution via the PC - could I test to see if the TV does have hi res compatibility?

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    That TV does not have hi-res capability. No digital connection.

8. BernieC

BernieC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think both Nick and Raze have a point.

Indeed, the 46 does not have a digital input, so could not be classed officially as HDTV. However, the advanced 'Active Vision' feature combined with progressive scanning and Component Video input should offer high enough quality until all the bugs are taken care of with HDTV...?

As a footnote I had bought a Sony 100hz 32" which had received very good reviews. After suffering a few 'dirty screen' and scart block issues I decided to go for the Tosh - and HOW pleased am I?!? As far as I am concerned, for the price paid this set is in league of its own!

9. Raze

Raze

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'm gonna keep it! :)
    thanks for your thoughts guys!