2nd subwoofer recommendation to partner a REL Strata 5 for 11.2

zamwessell

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I will be buying a Yamaha 3050 amp when they are released and i am thinking of adding a second subwoofer to partner the REL Strata 5 to complete an 11.2 set up

All the 11 speakers will be Monitor Audio so i would ideally like to add a Monitor Audio subwoofer if possible.

A Gold or Platinum is above the budget,but most of the others would be ok.

I could always add another REL as an option.

The BK Monolith is too big,unfortunately

Thanks!

tbh I'd just sell the Rel and either buy a single, or dual subwoofer. If monoliths are too big then you are looking at sealed box subs. I bet a good sealed box would beat two Rel Strata, ie SBU13 or Power Sound S3000i

tbh I'd just sell the Rel and either buy a single, or dual subwoofer. If monoliths are too big then you are looking at sealed box subs. I bet a good sealed box would beat two Rel Strata, ie SBU13 or Power Sound S3000i

Thanks.

I'll take a look a them

Would any of the smaller BK subs be good?

The room is 2.5m x 6m.

I would place them diagonally opposite at each end of the room

I wondered if the P12-300SB would be good enough.

I'm also struggling to find the dimensions of the other BK subs to see if i could fit in any other models

I'd probably go for the XLS400, and if you find it insufficient, get another.

Another option is SVS SB2000.

BK has superior finish, and high level input.
SB2000 has high pass, and probably a better home theatre sub.

I am now thinking of selling the REL Strata 5 and buying one or two subs.

The room is upstairs 2.5m wide x 6m long.I would be probably positioning diagonally at opposite ends of the room.The floor will have carpet with sound insulating underlay not that it matters as the room below is not used.

I really love the crisp clean slam/punch that some subs give but i also want depth when needed.The subs would be used for movies only and the one at the front has to be ideally no more than 400mm wide in a black or oak finish.The one at the rear could be colour

Budget for both total is around £1000 but i could stretch to maybe £1200.

My 11 speakers are all Monitor Audio.

I was looking at 2 MA Bronze or 1 Silver but they do not seem to be liked much on the AV Forums from what i have read.

Could a BK 400 and a SVS be used together?

Last edited:
Right,i think i have it narrowed down to the SVS SB/PB 1000 or 2000 and the BK XXLS400

Decided to go for a SVS SB 2000 at the front,then maybe add an SVS SB 1000 at the rear

Decided to go for a SVS SB 2000 at the front,then maybe add an SVS SB 1000 at the rear

You should really get matching subs.

Personally I would have gone for SBU13.

The SBU13 is out of my budget really

Two SB-2000 then would probably be your best bet. I'd always opt for the better sub if your budget allows as you don't want to find yourself wondering 'what if' later on ;)

I agree on two the same really.It would just keep them in my £1k budget.

I would rather have two 2000s than two 1000s though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom