2nd sub: Monolith Plus vs SVS PB1000 vs XTZ 12.17 edge

You should be able to save your Audyssey calibration & settings to a USB drive. It will be saved as Config.avr. You can then paste the config file to a folder on the drive named with something that identifies what Config it contains. This way you can have a variety of configurations that will take about a minute to load.
Ok I didn't know that, sounds quite cool would be nice if they had a simpler method with just some buttons on the remote for like 4 profiles

So is a really slack suspension normal on the Eminence Lab 12 driver? So easy to push the driver inwards with hand, compared to the stiffness of the XXLS400.

Is this on your Monolith? If so it's because the Monolith is ported so you will be able to push the driver easily below port frequency (try moving your hand at 20Hz and then it should be harder ;) ). The XXLS400 is sealed so the driver will feel stiff even at 0.5Hz or whatever speed your hand is pushing it. :)

My Logitech Z5500 has quite a stiffness to it, yet that's ported 🤔

So is a really slack suspension normal on the Eminence Lab 12 driver? So easy to push the driver inwards with hand, compared to the stiffness of the XXLS400.
Not sure why this is the case. The higher qms of the eminence would indicate to my a stiffer suspension/more dampening!

I think your worrying too much though, unless the sub is broken they will both have their own unique design parameters.

well well well. Got a mate who's into car audio and after I explained my predicatment he kindly allowed me "borrow" one of his minDSP 2x4HD's :D Turns out they are quite often used to car audio as well
IMG_20200704_122456.jpg

I just didn't know that the software is not free :( But sure as hell is cheaper than buying one of these!

well well well. Got a mate who's into car audio and after I explained my predicatment he kindly allowed me "borrow" one of his minDSP 2x4HD's :D Turns out they are quite often used to car audio as well
View attachment 1328814

I just didn't know that the software is not free :( But sure as hell is cheaper than buying one of these!
Ahem, that went much much quicker Than I assumed /predicted haha

It's like crack! I really thought I didn't have an addictive personality, clearly I was wrong!!!

so this only took 4 hours!!!! Tbh the SVS AS-EQ1 was not far of this as well and only took 1 minute to allign the subs and eq them!
Dual sub FR.png

Now I need to intergrate with the mains

Can a mini dsp stop the sub from bottoming out as well?

Can a mini dsp stop the sub from bottoming out as well?

It can if you set the compressor correctly. You might need to do some compression sweeps in REW to get a feel for where it needs to be set though and then not touch the sub gain afterwards.

Nice trace John: Is that REW EQ'd and then the resulting filters put into the MiniDSP?

It can if you set the compressor correctly. You might need to do some compression sweeps in REW to get a feel for where it needs to be set though and then not touch the sub gain afterwards.

Nice trace John: Is that REW EQ'd and then the resulting filters put into the MiniDSP?

Interesting, I might have to try get my hands on one, just the 235 price tag is a lot, it's a shame they can't be demoed, if the results were convincing enough I might buy one but so hesitant.

What results would you be looking for?

Yes but I had to make quite a few manual adjustments myself as REW made very odd choices. I can see the appeal of the SVS AS-EQ1 as it got it very close to what I have now and did not take 4 hours to do so!

What results would you be looking for?

That even response in my room. There is a hugh null at 60Hz it appears, massive dip, I would love to see that gone, I assume the Mini DSP just boosts that in its own way? It looks like the sub would need to really push to get it flat at that frequency.

Yes but I had to make quite a few manual adjustments myself as REW made very odd choices. I can see the appeal of the SVS AS-EQ1 as it got it very close to what I have now and did not take 4 hours to do so!

Have you got two eq?

That even response in my room. There is a hugh null at 60Hz it appears, massive dip, I would love to see that gone, I assume the Mini DSP just boosts that in its own way? It looks like the sub would need to really push to get it flat at that frequency.

Have you got two eq?

I got a miniDSP 2x4HD from a mate and been using it instead of the my SVS EQ. So far it's ok but needs A LOT MORE involvement than the SVS did.

REW making odd choices sounds like an incorrect set of target parameters. It's pretty predictable in its behaviour. I'll take another look at your MDAT later.

You can't boost a null. Nulls are caused by two signals interacting, often the direct sound and a reflection. Where they meet and they're a mirror image of each other you get destructive interference and they cancel each other out. If you boost the signal there you'll boost both the direct and reflected signal so you'll get exactly the same result. Nulls can only be removed by moving the sub, moving the listening position, room treatments, or adjusting the delay when multiple subs are involved.

So what's the Mini DSP do then? I can see the appeal if it can stop me bottoming out the sub, but it seems if I get the null out (I'm guessing this room would need treatment) then I'm not sure the benefit.

If I boosted the null then it would even it out where I'm sat, but then where that frequency is strongest I understand it'll probably be too intense and could cause issues in other rooms with the increased volume.

I got a miniDSP 2x4HD from a mate and been using it instead of the my SVS EQ. So far it's ok but needs A LOT MORE involvement than the SVS did.

I assume the SVS is more expensive.

Manual Eq. This gives you complete control over the eq and time alignment of multiple subs.

compare it to the SVS system. You run it, it does it’s thing and that’s that. You want a house curve? You can’t. You want to control the levels or time alignment, you can’t. You get what you get. Same with audyssey, although I think you have more control there. You have deq with some presets but only what it offers, you can’t truly customise.

you can also use it to implement things like active crossovers and, of course, BEQ.

Plus if you’re running multiple types of subs (VNF, like I am) you might want different eq per sub. Or if you have TR devices you can integrate those.

I agree though, for a single sub, unless you want to use BEQ the value is limited.

REW making odd choices sounds like an incorrect set of target parameters. It's pretty predictable in its behaviour. I'll take another look at your MDAT later.
That's what I was thinking as well tbh.

I am thinking of trying these settings:
Calib.png

What do you think? With this it would only need 4 filters

Last edited:
So what's the Mini DSP do then? I can see the appeal if it can stop me bottoming out the sub, but it seems if I get the null out (I'm guessing this room would need treatment) then I'm not sure the benefit.

If I boosted the null then it would even it out where I'm sat, but then where that frequency is strongest I understand it'll probably be too intense and could cause issues in other rooms with the increased volume.

I assume the SVS is more expensive.
Well ever so slightly: SVS AS-EQ1 SubEQ Review SRP: £699.00 but that was 10 years ago.

Just to add to all the points @Conrad. has made I'll highlight the main one: it lets you reduce PEAKS in the frequency response to give a smoother overall response (and associated shorter decay times where the peaks were).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom