2nd sub: Monolith Plus vs SVS PB1000 vs XTZ 12.17 edge

John24ssj

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Some of you might already be aware of how much of a nuisance I have been with my setup, but to summarise:

Got a decent size living room that opens into a dining area making it an L shaped room and I currently have a Monolith Plus which is great I do love it.
But there are issues with uniformity due to the room:
MonolIth Plus MLP.png

So as you can see the sub takes a nose dive from 50Hz onward, there is also an issue for the other 2 seats away from the MLP where the bass is lacking in some parts.

Through a lot of testing I found 2 most optimal locations in the room to provide the best response for dual sub setup:
2 Locations.png

And I was able to acheive a good response using a small Q Acoustics 3070S subwoofer and it worked quite well:
Single vs Dual.png

BUT sadly the 3070S had an odd pitch/noise around 50Hz mark which made it possible to be located in the room and of course that broke the whole dual sub setup :( So This showed me that I do not need a super powerful sub but it needs to be competent.

Another issue is space, getting a single Monolith Plus was a struggle as it is big, so going dual sub and getting wifes approval is much more difficult than I expected (She might have threatened to throw the monolith out of the window a few times, but I am yet to see how she would lift the bloody thing :D).

The space I "got" is this:
IMG_20200608_105543.jpg

Another issue is that sealed subs are a no go as they seem to cause the wife a really uncomfortable pressure around the ears :( So it needs to be a small ported sub.
After doing some reading and receiving brilliant help from Gasp3621 and Conrad I got it sort of narrowed down to SVS PB1000 and XTZ 12.17.
The advantage of PB1000 is that it is the exact height of the sofa rest which it should fit in perfectly so should be "easier" to get wife's approval.
I don't fancy spending too much on this as Monolith was already expensive purchase :( But I am torn between the options and what to do!!!

I've made a table with pros and cons between the subs and was wondering if I could get some more input on this?
Subs.png

Thank you all and sorry to be a pain!

Last edited:
I would probably go with the XTZ due to the fact that it has some eq available, can be run sealed or ported (I know you don't want sealed) and offers some extra flexibility if you find integration difficult. Also has a bit more amplification power and extra headroom is always a good thing, plus you are matching driver size with the Mono rather than mixing driver sizes.

You have marked the XTZ down on sub size, price and also issue regarding port noise below 30hz?
So if you ignore those minor differences and possible port noise in an area that you could maybe tune out, your main problem is in the +40hz region then the XTZ looks the better option IMO.

I second the XTZ. It's a better sub, on discount, more flexible, and a better match for the BK.
You might not need the EQ but it'll help with resale.

My view on warranties is probably different from most. Things either fail quickly (although this is less common with stress test and QC in modern manufacturing processes) or they last for a long, long time. If it's going to break, it's going to break in month 1 or year 7. I have zero sources for this other than my own experience.

Does the Sweden thing matter for repairs? Once you post it, you post it. It takes a bit longer but for warranties the costs should be covered? It's nice to support uk brands though, I get that.

Sell the mono + and get 2 XTZ 12.17 edges:D
Btw there is a 5yr warranty on the edge amp.

Martin

Isn't a massive con for the mono+ (probably a -100) that your partner won't let you have one?
Even if you gave it +10 on looks, you still couldn't get one.

Am I helping? I don't know that I am :)

EDIT: Also, you could go with a mono instead of a mono+ taking it down to £529 in mahogany. Then it draws with the SVS (what's £9 between subs).

Does matching score any points?

Sell the mono + and get 2 XTZ 12.17 edges:D
Btw there is a 5yr warranty on the edge amp.

Martin
No interest in selling the Mono it's a phenomenal sub and I love it!

XTZ website:
Screenshot_2020-06-09 XTZ - Warranty And Service Information -.png

Isn't a massive con for the mono+ (probably a -100) that your partner won't let you have one?
Even if you gave it +10 on looks, you still couldn't get one.

Am I helping? I don't know that I am :)

EDIT: Also, you could go with a mono instead of a mono+ taking it down to £529 in mahogany. Then it draws with the SVS (what's £9 between subs).

Does matching score any points?

Yes it's the shear size of it, by the sofa it really does stick out quite bit :( Normal Mono is the same size as Mono + thus not that great either.
Also currently my Mono+ has hummin/buzzing but it's far away in the corner so I can cope, if I were to get a second one and it also buzzes that would be quite bad as it would be right by the sofa and more audible, that's why I am leaning toward SVS and XZT and they don't seem to have as many issues with buzzing.

But then again Mono+ does go LOW, it appears easily lower than SVS and XZT.

I really can't decide what to do!!! I want Monolith plus with XTZ 12.17 amp in the form factor of SVS PB1000

Buy all three and make a frankensub. I'm sure it'll be fine :D

Buy all three and make a frankensub. I'm sure it'll be fine :D
Picking a house to buy was easier than getting a second sub!!! Also XTZ 12.17 is out of stock now :(

I would recommend a FF monolith and DF Monolith, the combination really gives a superb result. I find the DF even more impressive than the FF tbh.

Don’t know why - but the DF seems give more kick, that’s is on a solid concrete floor in my setup.

I realise space is an issue so the DF may not be the best option but it certainly is a cracking sub.

All the best with your decision 👍

I would recommend a FF monolith and DF Monolith, the combination really gives a superb result. I find the DF even more impressive than the FF tbh.

Don’t know why - but the DF seems give more kick, that’s is on a solid concrete floor in my setup.

I realise space is an issue so the DF may not be the best option but it certainly is a cracking sub.

All the best with your decision 👍
Well I did have the xxls400 DF and it was great just not powerful enough for my room but it did have a good thump. Sadly the DF version on the Monolith is really really tall and this an issue.
I would like another Monolith but currently their production is a bit delayed and kind of would like to try other offerings as well but I'm definitely keeping my Monolith no matter what the second sub is :D

Well I did have the xxls400 DF and it was great just not powerful enough for my room but it did have a good thump. Sadly the DF version on the Monolith is really really tall and this an issue.
I would like another Monolith but currently their production is a bit delayed and kind of would like to try other offerings as well but I'm definitely keeping my Monolith no matter what the second sub is :D

Tried their ebay store? There is one ready to ship

They're normally not out of stock for long 👌
Got a response from XTZ and they won't be in stock any time soon. The only subs that will popping up is singular one from people cancelling their orders!

What a pleasant surprise:
IMG_20200625_125217.jpg

What a pleasant surprise:
View attachment 1323675
brand-dark.svg
About our ads
You may also like
Can I ask what payment method you used for it as trying to establish the cheapest payment option. Via PayPal it was working out at just over £593 which was more expensive than I thought not sure if paying by card is cheaper? Also how long did it take to arrive after ordering.

Thanks

Can I ask what payment method you used for it as trying to establish the cheapest payment option. Via PayPal it was working out at just over £593 which was more expensive than I thought not sure if paying by card is cheaper? Also how long did it take to arrive after ordering.

Thanks
I used paypal and sadly I was unpleasantly surprised with the high price :( It better be good because it was £40 more expensive than my Monolith Plus.

I used paypal and sadly I was unpleasantly surprised with the high price :( It better be good because it was £40 more expensive than my Monolith Plus.
Tell me about it. At current exchange rate think it works out about £23 in currency exchange cost via PayPal. Guessing even by credit card it would be about the same though once 2.99% fee is added. Such a shame there is no UK distributor.

Tell me about it. At current exchange rate think it works out about £23 in currency exchange cost via PayPal. Guessing even by credit card it would be about the same though once 2.99% fee is added. Such a shame there is no UK distributor.
The pound has really tanked!!! Also I checked with XTZ and the return would cost around 65 Euros which pretty much means £65 😭

Last edited:
When I bought one a couple months ago I used PayPal and paid in euros , and my bank charged £16. Total was about £570 I think

Really looking forward to hearing your initial impressions on the 12.17, especially in comparison to your Monolith Plus 👍

Always been very tempted by an XTZ sub for my living room - it’s a decision between the XTZ 12.17 or another Monolith Plus?

I’m delighted with the BK offering, but always wonder what the XTZ 12.17 edge would be like.

My living room just has a Monitor Audio Bronze sub 10 which just doesn’t cut it any more after dual monoliths in the cinema room 😂

The pound has really tanked!!! Also I checked with XTZ and the return would cost around 65 Euros which pretty much means £65 😭
Thats quite steep. The fact delivery cost is €40 and they state that returns would be best rate seems to contradict that with a 50% cost increase to send back. Should be the same if they are that confident in them! I just wonder if I should save some money and buy the PB1000 instead!

soooo my quick initial impressions from watching around 8 sections from my favourite heavy bass movies is that 12.17 is rather disappointing and really underwhelming. It lacks low down grunt and detail. I mean yes I am comparing it to my Monolith Plus which is much larger in size but damn does it not compare to the Monolith Plus.

Music it’s rather good, tried some jazz and it was very lovely indeed but movies ☹

However, this is just first initial impressions I will need to do some tweaking and all that!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom