• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

2nd Sky Feed to HDTV - Quality?

bwfc0907

Established Member
Has anybody got a second feed from Sky to a HDTV, say in a bedroom.

Whats the quality of picture (mainly films and football) like compared to a CRT?

MAW

Banned
I've got a system running in a client's house with 4 42PHD8 panasonic plasmas. It's done with a Kramer VGA signal multiplier, and component video over cat 5 wire. Quality is the same all over, just like RGB to component would look anyway.

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
Yep - the key thing is to ensure you distribute RGB from the Sky box. If you use Composite or S-video you'll notice quite a quality drop - especially on an HD screen.

If you use RF then you'll get an even worse picture, and only mono audio. (Sky boxes don't create NICAM stereo audio on their modulated output - just FM mono)

MAW

Banned
And RGB scart does not travel well, hence the conversion to YUV and use of video over cat 5 with baluns, which is pretty loss-free over long distances. We sent digital audio down the wire as well, so theoretically he could have 5.1 in all these locations. Actually he only has it in 2 of them, just stereo in the others.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
I'm using a Digisender to send to my PJ in the bedroom. It only sends composite, although it does manage stereo for my Videologic 5.1.
Pretty poo picture, about as good as a CRT via RF and not a patch on my plasma via RGB scart.
But I suppose that's cheating and doesn't count :)

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
MAW said:
And RGB scart does not travel well, hence the conversion to YUV and use of video over cat 5 with baluns, which is pretty loss-free over long distances. We sent digital audio down the wire as well, so theoretically he could have 5.1 in all these locations. Actually he only has it in 2 of them, just stereo in the others.

I really ought to do this to get a decent result for my post above.
More bloody cables though :(

bwfc0907

Established Member
MY signal will go from RF2 via a TvLink T140 amplifier. Will the picture quality be worse than my current CRT's in the bedroom which is very clear. As good as current will do.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
I can't say for sure, but guess it will be ok.
Certainly watchable.
I used to use a Tvlink (but no amp) and it was fine.

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
Given that RGB and YPrPb are pretty near identical signals (0.7V pk-pk excluding syncs) - then surely YPrPb travelling better is either because Y Pr Pb is more robust in terms of level errors, or because component input/output circuits are better engineered. (Never have quite got to the bottom of how RGB SCART is properly terminated...)

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
It probably is poor engineering.
I always thought Scart was an abortion, and totally understand why the rest of the world never adopted it.
And I hate to say it, because I do like them, but anything french designed, is rubbish, certainly when it comes to their cars (IMO).
I'm sure the french motto is "why pick an easy way, when you can have a difficult one".

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
Badger0-0 said:
It probably is poor engineering.
I always thought Scart was an abortion, and totally understand why the rest of the world never adopted it.
And I hate to say it, because I do like them, but anything french designed, is rubbish, certainly when it comes to their cars (IMO).
I'm sure the french motto is "why pick an easy way, when you can have a difficult one".

I think that is a bit harsh. The connector design is appallingly bad - but the simplicity of a single connector carrying RGB or S-video, Composite, stereo audio and status/widescreen signalling shouldn't be underestimated. My mum was able to connect her freeview box, DVD player and VCR to her TV with me explaining how to do it over the phone. Not sure I'd have managed that with 5 phonos / 3 phonos for each device (assuming component / composite) After all - we've had RGB connectivity for 20 years + as a result of SCART. (I used to connect my BBC Micro in RGB to our Philips Audivision TV in the 80s, and had a modified BSB receiver to watch the HD-MAC broadcasts of the Albertville and Barcelona Olympics in RGB on our Sony TV long before component inputs on TVs were even available in other countries...)

SCART being mandated for years has also meant that RGB connectivity is available on loads of TVs, not just high end ones as component is in non-SCART territories, where low cost displays often have just composite (or if you are lucky S-video)

A cheap DVD player with RGB SCART output and a low cost TV with RGB SCART input will look better than the same gear connected composite or S-video - unless something is very wrong.

Sure it is a rubbish connector - but the ease of connection and picture quality you get with it shouldn't be sniffed at either.

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Ease, yes:smashin:
but everthing else, no, IMO
If the world had accepted it ,maybe :smashin:
They didn't.
Hence it sucks, IMO
What was the point?? RGB, component-wise is better, yes or no?

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom