2nd Sky+ dead in just 4 months....

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Radiohead, Sep 19, 2004.

1. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    ....and what a joke Sky are when it comes to customer service.

My original box failed in July (after 9 months), and that was replaced with a refurb (which winds me up anyway). The replacement box had been fine until this evening when it wouldn't play the remainder of a show recorded yesterday, and which it had happily play the first 25 minutes of this morning. I ran a power cycle, and now the box won't come out of standby. I've tried a software update - that finished and made no difference, and doing a full reset - which doesn't light up the green play sign, but just lights up the circle around the outside (does this mean anything?). The box doesn't respond to any remote signals or to any of the buttons on the box itself.

Phoned the useless halfwits at Sky 'Technical Support' (an oxymoron if ever there was one) and needless to say nothing worked. We then came to the "we can send an engineer out but it'll be £65". After I'd stopped laughing I pointed out that a) the box is 1 week out of warranty (which I think should be a year again anyway), and b) that Sky have had over £2k out of year over the years. He relented and then tried to compound his error by saying that he'd have to get someone to ring back to arrange a no-fee visit and that wouldn't be until Tuesday, and then another 2/3 days from then for the actual visit - meaning I'd be Sky-less for a week or more. I managed to get onto someone more senior who booked me a no-fee visit for Tuesday (v. important as Deadwood is on that evening) so I expect another refurb box.

As a product they have a winner.

As a company they suck Satan's fat one. Twice.

2. pantages

pantages

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Good for you! I agree about Sky service, it is lousy and no rep ever agrees with another representative, they all seem to have their own theories and advice, mostly duff. I am on my third stb in less than a year and the last two have been refurbs on which the warranty ends a year after I first signed up. The other day I received a letter from Sky making me a wonderful offer to extend my warranty for £79 per annum, otherwise a £65 call out plus cost of parts etc, will be made. I don't like to think I bought a product that is likely to break down in less than five years and there is no way I intend to buy a rip-off insurance policy. If the box fails after the year is up then I will cancel my subscription to Sky and buy my own Freeview pvr.

3. Barry.NI

Barry.NI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have two SKY+ boxes, V 1 and V 2, the first one is 24 months old, and the second one just under a year. Both are used daily without trouble. Could it possibly be an overheating problem, are they isntalled in a restricted enclosure? I know that there is a cooling fan, but they still need space to breathe.

4. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    They are - the box is alone on a Soundstyle XS310 shelf. I swapped the HDD of the dead box on Monday evening and it was fine. Swapped it back out to leave the box dead for the monkey the next day, and he was a monkey as when I got home he'd not paired the box with the card so I had to do that.

I think I've been unlucky with HDD's, but that doesn't excuse their shocking service.