• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

2nd room box with no viewing card.

Pollensa1946

Established Member
I have installed a 2nd non-subscription box in a bedroom. Since this is very much secondary viewing I haven't bothered to buy a viewing card for this box. The result of course is that I'm missing Chan5 and the regional variants of BBC & ITV and as expected 101 has been assigned to BBC 1 London and 103 to ITV London. I can find the regional variants for BBC1 & 2 and have assigned those, but nowhere on the channel list does there appear a regional variant for ITV1. Also I have read in these forums that it's possible to tune in the FTA version of Chan5 via "Other Channels", but when I go down that route no Chan5 appears on the "Other Channels" list.
So questions...
Is it possible to tune in regional variants of ITV1 ? How ?
Are there some special settings to be done in "Other CHannels" to get the FTA Chan5 ? What settings ?
Thanks.

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
I have installed a 2nd non-subscription box in a bedroom. Since this is very much secondary viewing I haven't bothered to buy a viewing card for this box. The result of course is that I'm missing Chan5 and the regional variants of BBC & ITV and as expected 101 has been assigned to BBC 1 London and 103 to ITV London. I can find the regional variants for BBC1 & 2 and have assigned those, but nowhere on the channel list does there appear a regional variant for ITV1. Also I have read in these forums that it's possible to tune in the FTA version of Chan5 via "Other Channels", but when I go down that route no Chan5 appears on the "Other Channels" list.
So questions...
Is it possible to tune in regional variants of ITV1 ? How ?
Are there some special settings to be done in "Other CHannels" to get the FTA Chan5 ? What settings ?
Thanks.

To get these you need to scan the correct transponders using add channels and save them. THey will then appear in the other services list

FTA Channel 5 is sandwiched on a bbc transponder (10773 H 22000 5/6) a scan of this transponder should find it (there's nothing special about it).

FTA ITV regions

ITV 1 London 10758 V
ITV 1 Granada 10758 V
ITV 1 Anglia North 10758 V
ITV 1 Central West 10758 V
ITV 1 Border England 10832 H
ITV 1 Central East 10832 H
ITV 1 Thames Valley 10832 H
ITV 1 Wales 10832 H
ITV 1 West 10832 H
ITV 1 West Country South 10832 H
ITV 1 Anglia South 10891 H
ITV 1 Border Scotland 10891 H
ITV 1 Meridian South 10891 H
ITV 1 Tyne Tees North 10891 H
ITV 1 Yorkshire West 10891 H

Note ITV West Country South is currently transmitting a much better picture than the other regions as it's servicing terrestrial transmitters in the South West

Last edited:

Dave FR PD130

Established Member
Do you still get all the other free channels without having a viewing card?

I'm thinking about getting Sky + HD, which will mean I have a spare sky + box, and i was going to see if my parents could use it, on a dish from maplin or something? But they won't have a viewing card. Is this possible?

Sky said they'd need to buy a "freeview" card for £25.

fernandez

Distinguished Member
Do you still get all the other free channels without having a viewing card?

I'm thinking about getting Sky + HD, which will mean I have a spare sky + box, and i was going to see if my parents could use it, on a dish from maplin or something? But they won't have a viewing card. Is this possible?

Sky said they'd need to buy a "freeview" card for £25.

From the freesatfromsky website:

"Q: I already have Sky digital satellite equipment - what else do I need?

A: All you need to gain access to the free channels available on the digital satellite platform is a Freesat from Sky viewing card, which costs just £19.57. If you'd like to access the interactive services available, you'll also need a working phone line. To purchase a viewing card please phone Sky on 08448 244 400."

Having a card will ensure that you have the correct BBC1/ITV1 regions, that C4 and FIVE will appear on the EPG and give access to Sky3 and Setanta Sports News.

So, although a card isn't essential it is convenient

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom