2nd Remote IP cameras over Homeplugs casuing Signal issues

Scottyman

Novice Member
Looking some advice and help with a hilook IP nvr. Currently running 2 cameras on a 8ch NVR. 1 POE connected directly and 1 in a garage connected by powerline adapters(TP-Link TL-PA7020KIT 2-Port Gigabit Powerline) All has been working without problems for a few years. Recently I bought 3 more cameras with 2 being connected directly and 1 more in the garage using the existing homeplug. The homeplugs are 2 port, so I planned on connecting the second camera remotely and the LAN cable into an empty port on the nvr.The cameras are set up as plug and play with same Passwords and DHCP enabled. However once the 2nd Cable is connected to the NVR the homeplug keeps losing its connection. I can access the cameras over a web browser so they are connected ok and can view both together. I can add 1 or the other onto the NVR but not run both at the same time without the homeplug messing about. Anyone any ideas what's causing it or a solution to over come it? I'm not an expert in networks but can manage the basics. Do I need a third homeplug at the nvr and paired to the other 2 or buy another pair and keep them separate? Or maybe I need a switch at the NVR connected to 1 port on the Homeplug and run 2 cables to the NVR channels? Hope this all makes sense

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
I would suggest that you don’t need a 2nd cable to the NVR but this will greatly depend how the NVR is setup

do the NVR and cameras have a separate network address range to the rest of your network and it’s own dhcp server

D

Deleted member 24354

The only real way to make Homeplugs work is to have one at each end of the camera. You therefore really need 4 homeplugs with one in each camera and one connected to each camera input on the NVR. The cameras will be trying to establish multiple streams and now you are asking them to swap IPs continually between the two cameras inputs and only on half duplex.

Scottyman

Novice Member
The only real way to make Homeplugs work is to have one at each end of the camera. You therefore really need 4 homeplugs with one in each camera and one connected to each camera input on the NVR. The cameras will be trying to establish multiple streams and now you are asking them to swap IPs continually between the two cameras inputs and only on half duplex.

Thanks. I
I would suggest that you don’t need a 2nd cable to the NVR but this will greatly depend how the NVR is setup

do the NVR and cameras have a separate network address range to the rest of your network and it’s own dhcp server

Cameras are operating under 192.168.254... range and my internet connection is 192.168.8.....

Scottyman

Novice Member

Thanks. This may be my easiest option and least complicated

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
If you are using 2 sets of home plugs, make sure you enable encryption and establish 2 networks by pairing them correctly. Otherwise they will simply become nodes on the same network and you won't have solved anything.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom