1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd Hitachi 42PD5200 BUZZZZER!!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Timmah, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Timmah

Timmah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my 2nd hitachi after sending the first one back due to buzzing from the rear of the set...And this one buzzes as well!!! :mad: It's enough to drive you mad...the buzz varies with the picture being displayed so catches your attention more often than if it was constant and is audible at normal viewing volumes. Has anyone else had this problem? I can't believe that this is 'Normal' operation but I also can't believe that I could get 2 faulty sets in a row unless they were from the same production run or something...

:mad: :thumbsdow :nono:

2. wiseman3

wiseman3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also bought a PD5200 and it buzed as well. There is nothing to do about it. As I was also very much disappointed about PQ of the Hitachi, I brought it back and got a PIO 435 in exchange. The PQ is much better on the PIO and if it does buz too (all plasma do it more or less) it does it more quietly ! So if you can afford the 1KEUR extra of the PIO I recommend you go for it. Cheers.

3. Rampage

Rampage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Buzzing seems to be a common problem with Hitachi's.
    There seemed to be more complaints about the PD3000.
    I have a PD5200 and it is fine.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Tim, it's a well documented occasional Hitachi problem. It's true no plasma is silent, no CRT either come to that, but in my experience nothing buzzes quite as loud as a buzzing Hitachi. Then you get all fixated on it. You could try 3rd time lucky, and your poor picture is standard with a new set, they all look like that. Most seem to get better with age, it's kind of act of faith to keep it. It's well known on this forum that I won't sell them cos of probs like this, and that Hitachi don't back their dealers up. Your dealer is most likely taking this one on the chin, or else re-selling to some other poor unfortunate. Still, so many seem happy with their Hitachis they can't all be bad surely?

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The buzzing is caused by the expansion and contraction of the plasma gas - that's why it varies with picture content. All plasma's do it, I suspect that the reason why some people notice it more than others is due to a number of factors....

1. The design of the back of the plasma - the Hitachi is extremely well ventilated, thus requiring no extra fans, but it does let more sound out too.
    2. The room furnishings, especially at the rear of the TV. A TV standing in front of, or mounted on a painted plaster wall will reflect more sound back than one standing in front of drapes or thick wallpaper.
    3. The ambient sound levels within the room.
    4. The brightness levels that the panel is set to.

The buzzing level is also dependent on the altitude above sea level. The higher, the louder.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Well yours is OK in East anglia then! Actually that's a new one on me, and there is no way on God's earth the gas expansion theory could account for the volume of some plasmas, and this is also contrary to Hitachi's 'fix' for the problem, they put in new power supplys. This fits with the variance of the sound with the brightness of the picture. Maybe there are 2 sources of noise, but I can assure you this is the power supply buzz that irritates people, the other sound, present on all plasmas, is a barely discernible tinkle. I'll grant you that could be gas expansion.

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I wouldn't disagree, MAW. The power supply could be a culprit. I have read in several articles that the reason why plasmas are not recommended for use above ~6000ft is because the buzz becomes unbearable. As you rightly guessed, my lounge is 20ft ASL, and my 5300 Hitachi plasma doesn't buzz too loudly :)

8. limbk

limbk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mine 42pd5200 buzzes too as in all Plasmas but you can't hear it unless you put your ears close to the back of the Plasmas. In normal operations, I don't hear it at all!

9. limbk

limbk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have my 42pd5200 for almost a month now. Very happy with the PQ. I have a Denon 2910 connnected to it via Component and DVI. The PQ over DVI is only slightly better. The colours are more natural over DVI although you will have to adjust to neutralise the greenish tint.

Overall, I am happy with the 42pd5200. Can't complain. I choose this over the Panny PWD6 because of its external design and I preferred the Hitachi's PQ.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Limbk, you don't have the problem then. Some screens just hum like yours, some sound like an angry hornet.

11. madasahat

madasahat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have a 42pd5200 and it is totaly silent and the pq is fantastic :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

12. tradesman

tradesman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    most likely cause of exessive buzzing noise as far as I'm concerned has to be a fault with the power system my own 42PD522 is barely audible even with my ear up against it the PQ on it is second to none imho (a very sattisfied hitachi owner)

13. efendi

efendi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a 42PD5200 for Christmas and I'm VERY happy with the PQ too. Regarding the buzz, it does it, but only slightly. What I've found more annoying however is the fact that a few lines up and down the display (ten or so) are NEVER lit, with no regard of input source (analog tuner, DVD via component). Haven't tried the digital connection yet as I have no proper input source (got a DENON 2900 and it has no DVI/HDMI). Does anybody experienced the same? Any ideas?

Thanks

Petr

14. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Your screen is thoroughly shagged, get it replaced ASAP

15. a271249

a271249
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got the Hitachi 42PD5200 and the buzzing is really bad. It sounds as loud as fridge compressor. It's a damn shame as I waited to weeks for delivery, took the day off to set the whole thing up ... pictures great and getting better, but that buzzing is driving me MAD!!!!

I bought this form FlatPanel. Anyone else have problems with their Hitachi supply out there? Do you reckon they will test a replacement before shipping or do I have to wait fo an engineer.

16. tradesman

tradesman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get in touch with your supplier ie: the company that had your money imediatly and ask for a replacement doubt an engineer is going to be of any use only to tell you you need a new screen