1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by scott69, Apr 9, 2003.

1. scott69

scott69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have purchased a second hard drive for storing Digital Video footage (80GB).
    My cuurent HD is 40GB.
    Is it possible to transfer all the data to the new 80GB HD and clear the 40GB and use it for Video footage etc?
    I was told the 80GB HD would be better used as the main drive for all progs. and OS (winXP).
    I'm no expert (as you can tell), so if it's too technical forget it !!
    Thanks in advance for any input.

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Connect the 80GB as drive D: (either primary slave, secondary master or secondary slave) you need to adjust the jumpers on the HD.

I would use a smaller drive for the OS, and a bigger drive for data (D) and animations/docs/games etc.

You will need the hard drive instructions, and possibly a IDE cable (if no connectors free on the existing cable) IDE cable is about £5.

3. Mr_Belowski

Mr_Belowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +281
    Moving your windows install to a second harddrive requires a third-party application like Norton Ghost or DriveImage. If you've not got anything like that, and don't fancy rolling your slevees up and giving it a try then it's best left as it is.

Moving an OS without a drive-image tool is pretty much impossible

4. scott69

scott69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks guys.
    I have had no problems with my system so far, so I think I might leave it as it is.
    Thanks again.

5. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The only benefit of transfering would be if the 80gb is a faster drive (in terms of data transfer) and your motherboard supported the higher speed.

If I were doing it I'd do a fresh install of windows/software on the new drive then just attach the old and copy anything I wanted before formating.