1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd hand XBOX - worth buying?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Dr Nick Riviera, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Dr Nick Riviera

Dr Nick Riviera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi to all here from an XBOX newbie :suicide:

I've been offered a friend's unwanted XBOX (1 yr old) for £50 which seems a bargain, but I wanted to clarify a few things first:

Can it play R1 DVD without chipping - Region X type products don't seem to have arrived? I'd want to use it as a second DVD player but the vast majority of my collection is R1. Is it correct that RGB output is available?

If chipping is the only option, does anyone out there offer a service to do it (SW England)?

What would any of you guys consider "essential" add-ons? It's not going to connected to my home cinema system, just via scart to a plain old portable in spare room, so I meant in terms of memory, alternative controllers etc.

I also read that some of these chip mods enable playback of backed up dvd-r games - i even found a site selling them openly! :nono:

Don't know much about XBOX - but after using this forum's search engine it seems clear that many people are waiting for Region X!

Thanks for any help

Nick

2. wolfeh

wolfeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    A UK PAL Xbox can only play r2 discs (afaik) and thats only after you buy the dvd remote conrtol add on.
    If its just going to be hooked up to a small portable I cant think of anything extra you would want (apart from the dvd remote).
    As for controllers, I personally prefer the new smaller official "controler-s", but I've not had much use with the original "large" controler.
    You dont need memory cards as there is a built in 8gig hdd.
    If you want to play r1 dvds etc, there is a region x product but it seams to be out of stock at Play , other than that you would have to look into getting the console moddified, but thats up to you.
    If you just really want a 2nd dvd player (which it sounds like you want) I would go for the toshiba sd330e (multi region), which is only £80 from amazon.co.uk atm

Wolfeh

*edit* hmm that link doesnt work, just go to www.play.com and search for "region" under xbox

3. Dr Nick Riviera

Dr Nick Riviera

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wolfeh
    Thanks for replying :)

I misled you slightly - I do want to use it as a games console, but additionally I'd use it as a second DVD player.

That Region X product seems to either be not available or on permanent out of stock at all the resellers I've looked at, whether they be UK or US based. As I said in my original post, loads of people are really hoping this product ships soon.

If not I'll have to look at getting it chipped - just don't fancy doing it myself (luddite). Any modders out there in SW England that might want to do it?

cheers

Nick

4. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The RegionX has been available for pre-order since the XBox launched, and still hasn't arrived. At this point I'm convinced that it's just vaporware and will never be available.

You only need memory cards if you're planning to carry save games to someone else's XBox.

Also, you might want to give the original controller a go before picking up any additional ones. Most people prefer the S-controller, but some (like myself) prefer the original monster controller.

5. tonyb

tonyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick,

Just a thought, but you could buy the XBox from your friend for it's gaming features and buy a cheap DVD player from somewhere like Asda.

I was in a branch the other day, and they had a Pacific dvd player for £42. From what i have read on othe forums, this machine is multi-region out of the box, and is widely regarded as a very good budget player. I believe there is also a Schneider model available that is also considered to be a good machine, and it's a similar price in Asda.

I knows this works out a little more expensive, but by the time you've bought the dvd playback and possibly a region X kit for it, you will have spent about £40 anyway.

Tony