1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd hand Speakers & Marantz SR4300

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by cosmic023, Feb 15, 2003.

1. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi All,

I need to buy a centre & surround speakers for my Marantz SR4300.

But as i've blown all my money on buying the amp, i can't afford to buy a complete new set of speakers, and i'm looking at e-bay to find something suitable.

I have a pair of Vintage Goodmans Magnum K2's as the fronts, and need speakers for the centre & surrounds ??

The amp puts out 80w into a 6ohm load.

Here are a few i'm looking at on E-bay what do you think ??

Choice #1
    Choice #2

Cheers

Cosmic023

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    As has been mentioned many times before, it is important to try to get a tonal match between the front three speakers and I doubt whether you will achieve it with either of these two sets.

The first choice includes a pair of old rear speakers specifically sold for rear duties in a Pro Logic system. PL rears were not full range and these speakers will there be unsuitable for Dolby Digital.

Of the two, the second offers the better choice as they are full range but don't be misled by the quote "These speakers are actually re-badged Technics units so are of very high quality both in sound and of finish on the cabinet" as that is just bull****

3. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    The Panasonic speakers you're looking at can also be bought at Richer Sounds with Technic Lables for £60 for a whole set of 5. They also do a couple of Eltax and a Gale package all under £100 which may be better value in the longer term for you.

Victoria

4. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Thanks for all your info...............

Ian: I know what you mean about my first choice, i wasn't sure at first. But at least i know now !!

Sounddog: I've looked @ the RS website, and that speaker package is instore callers only. Which means no longer in production / end of line ?? It's usually the way as i've found out, i'll give the RS branch near me a ring tomorrow, and see if they are in stock. But i doubt it very much ??

I've done another search on e-bay and found these Technics speaker package, what do you think of these ??

Speaker Link

I would like to get x2 centre speakers to get DD-EX working, but as i'm on a limited budget. (Up to £100) So I'll have to wait, unless i can pickup that speaker package from RS !!

Cheers

Cosmic023

5. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Not all "in store callers" only products at Richer Sounds are end of line ... some are products (like the KEF Cresta) that the manufacturer doesn't like being sold online - remember Richer SOunds is primarily their stores, with the web site / mail order being an additional service they offer.

Anyway ... take a trip to Richer Sounds and I'm sure you'll find something suitable for around £100 (2x front, centre + 2x rears) - or consider somthing like a pair of Cresta 2 for fronts, the Cresta centre plus using your Goodmans for the rears.

Victoria

6. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi Sounddog,

Thanks for the advice, i'll give RS a bell tomorrow and see if they have the Panasonic / Technics speaker set.

I hope so then i can get DD-EX, hoo hoo !! Let's hope so eh !!

As for the advice of using my K2's as rears, is a BIG NO NO !! These are studio reference monitors, and have a very pleasing sound on all kinds of music !! So all i'm after is really x2 centre speakers and a set of surround speakers.

Cheers

Cosmic023

7. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Okay ... RE the Goodmans ... I was unaware what quality of speakers they are ... Goodmans to mean equates to very crappy 80's midi-systems.

Victoria

8. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi Sounddog,

Nah, these were made in '72, and they did make very good reference quality speakers in the '70's. Shame all info / knowledge went to waste in the 80's !!

Cheers

Cosmic023

9. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi All,

I've been on the phone to RS today, and they said those speakers are out of stock, but it's not a end of line product.

So they are on backorder, and hopfully will get some more in stock in about 10 days. So i've asked them to reserve me a set.

All i need now is to sort out the cable, and then i'm sorted !!

I'll look forward to getting them setup, and enjoying DD-EX !!

Thanks for all your info.

Cheers

Cosmic023

10. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi All,

I've been waiting for over 3 weeks for the Technics speaker package, and there is still no stock !!

So i popped into RS, and see what they had. Ended up buying a pair of Kef Cresta 1's for the rear surround, and a Kef Cresta Centre both in cherry. (I've got another centre speaker on order, and hope to get that next week !!)

Look forward to wiring it all up, tomorrow !! :D

Cheers

Cosmic023

11. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi All,

I've now wired up all my speakers, and set-up the amp..........it's very nice sounding.

But after 18 months of listening to 2ch virtual mode, makes it sound really strange in surround sound, but it's does sound cool with music.

I've set-up the speakers roughly by ear, but i now have a copy of the AVIA disc, so i can set my speakers up properly now.

I think i'll do this after the weekend, when i pick up the other centre speaker.

What i do need is the chance to borrow a SPL meter, as i can't see the point of buying one, as i'm only going to be using it once ??

Cheers

Cosmic023

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Lesson in diplomacy 1) It isn't the best plan to tell people that you don't see the point in buying something and asking to borrow theirs so I would suggest that you edit your post and say that you can't afford to buy one instead.

It might also help if you put your general location in your personal profile and you may get an offer from someone that lives in your vicinity.

13. cosmic023

cosmic023

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi Ian,

I can see your point, but why should i buy a sound meter, and then use it set up my system, and then sell it.

Because after all, unless you move rooms / house ect., you shouldn't need to use the meter again ??

Cheers

Cosmic023

14. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    You are forgetting that dreadful AV disease known as "upgraditis":rolleyes: