1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd hand Receivers ? Long and lecturous. enter >>

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Phill1978, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    hi,

just wondering where the best place (other than ebay :rolleyes: ) is to get a 2nd hand reciever from. presumably most consumers think with the same mindset as what-hif journos :thumbsdow sorry for mentioning that absolute trash magazine :suicide: :zonked: ... which is to claim that every month the state of the art piece of THX cinema equipment you bought hailed by them as the most incredible thing since avforums was created :blush: :clap: has now been superceaded by something with a higher number on the end.

i however dont belive this. In fact i think if something sounds good it sounds good until it breaks. ((btw after reading WHF for 3yrs i fail to belive just how much most hifi / HC has moved on in their eyes the subscriber must now think ever ***** star piece of equipment gives you an unparalled eargasm. :boring: .. sorry...

anyway my point is. 1yr ago there were some £2500 mega amps from the likes of Sony and yamaha and denon that are presumable not avaliable now yet still sound better than anything that costs £2499 today ! (( sorry 386bit decoding is no better than 64bit decoding to my ears.. its the powersupply, components and electrical regulation that separates the good from the not so good)).

any ideas where i can get some of these once mamouth performers (( still with every feature apart from 24/96 and DLP-II of course. sigh how i will miss them :laugh: ))

cheers

2. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Have you tried looking in the hardware classified forum :confused:

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    As Grimleys says, the classifieds section of this site is one of the best available. There's also a few others which I havn't used, I'm sure someone else can find the links though.

4. Phill1978

Phill1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    :confused:

yes.

what im after is a few older sony power amp`s that were released when sacd first came out. they brought out some underpriced but still expensive power + preamps to prove the quality of sacd. anyone remember ??

the integrated was also good:

here is an old review of that

http://www.hifichoice.co.uk/review_read.asp?ID=518

hmm whats this ?? :cool:

also when i used to read crappy WHF i remeber this being slated as exellent for music but too smooth for movies, smooth in their eyes mean it just wasnt gun ho and brash, sony clearly tried hard on this model toget it right for audiophiles, i dont think it was ever a big hit.

maybe i just like older stuff, its got more character. :D

BTW yes i do realise some of this stuff isnt 'That' old. but the top pic is to jog your memory about pre/power the Sonytava77es is an acurate pic and the bottom one... well err what is it ?

[images removed - please read rules on linking to images, lynx]

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    You could also try things like www.ex-dem.co.uk and Loot if you're searching for something in particular,like those old Sony amps.

FWIW,the upper end Sony amps are always beautifully made,and with great attention to detail,but often lacking in the ability to convey music properly.

You may well find some of the bigger Denons and Pioneers coming onto the used market now,and may also offer better sound quality,IMHO

6. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In all seriousness, post a (somewhat shorter!) wanted ad in the classifieds section. This forum is a great place to trade (as I can testify after buying my amp here!) and is well policed by the mods.

Hope you have success in your search :)

7. krusty

krusty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i bought a yammy a2 from these forums, it was cheap also.