2nd hand LG C1 - repair needed

TheHappyClown

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am needing a bit of advice. I purchased a second-hand LG C1 from Facebook Marketplace a couple of months ago. It's worked perfectly until yesterday when it briefly lost the picture, flashed a number of different colours made a terrible sound and then refused to turn on. Since then, I've tried resetting it several times by holding down the power button. I get 3 red flashes, then nothing. I've had it unplugged for 12 hours and the problem remains. It has turned on briefly a couple of times, shown a standard start-up screen then turned itself off.

I requested a repair from LG directly yesterday and am awaiting a callback. I obviously have no proof of purchase (I paid via direct transfer to the chap I purchased it from.) I am aware the warranty is non-transferable. I am just wondering if LG will be able to repair it and the sort of costs that might be associated with this. Has anyone else been in this situation before with LG TVs? Does anyone recognise the symptoms of this problem?

I had something similar with my old CX. While requesting a repair online, they asked for copy of receipt and cancelled the job when no receipt was provided.

Best of luck. Sorry to hear about the TV.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Are there any other options for repairs? Can local TV repair services fix this sort of tuning? Did you ever manage to get your CX fixed?

I feel like I'm learning the hard way to never buy a second hand TV!

Took it to a TV repair shop and they checked the power unit which was fine. They thought it was the T-con and changed it but the TV still kept switching off. They wanted to change the panel and quoted a price at which point it was better to buy a new one.

So, I sold it for spares for a few bob and I believe the person I sold it to, threw a glass of water on it and claimed it on his home insurance after writing himself a personal receipt.

I went and bought another one from FB. This time a BX for 650 quid and it is still running strong.

Both TVs combined was still cheaper tham buying one of them new. Try to get ones with a warranty if possible. Plenty of good ones in the classifieds here.

Last edited:
Spoke to LG today and explained the issue and they think it is a mainboard failure which will need replacing. They quoted me £399 for the repair which is not affordable at the moment. Does anyone else have any idea how much a mainboard replacement might be from a 3rd party TV repair service? I suppose there is also the chance that this might not be the actual problem and the repair could end up costing even more.......

Spoke to LG today and explained the issue and they think it is a mainboard failure which will need replacing. They quoted me £399 for the repair which is not affordable at the moment. Does anyone else have any idea how much a mainboard replacement might be from a 3rd party TV repair service? I suppose there is also the chance that this might not be the actual problem and the repair could end up costing even more.......
The cost probably won't be much different. A new mainboard comes out at around £290.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom