2nd hand floorstanders buzzing

Alrey

Novice Member
Reaction score
Don't know much about speakers but I wanted a pair of floorstanders for my 5.1 system (mostly cos I like the look of them!) so picked up a pair of wharfedale sapphire sp87 off gum tree for £70. They are in good condition and look great but unfortunately I've noticed serious buzzing / crackling at certain frequencies. Just tested them on the 8 mile dvd where the guys pull up in their 4x4 and bassy music is playing.... They sounded horrendous! One of them the middle driver is the one rattling and it can be stopped by gently pressing my fingers around the outside of the driver. Already taken it out and flipped it the other way up In case it's sagging, and made sure all the screws are in tight. There is a light sign of almost perishing on this driver, not ripped but looks slightly imperfect.

On the other side I think it's the woofer at the bottom. Improved it on most scenes by tightening all screws around it but then on said 8 mile scene.... It rattles like crazy again. Is it worth trying to repair these? Crossover is set to 80hz but they do it no matter what I set it to. Can't notice any real fault on music, they sound great, only play up on movie scenes.

It's entirely likely, given all of the steps you have taken, that one (or more) of the voice coils has been damaged by over-driving. Either the voice coil has been distorted by hitting the motor back plate (too much power) or overheated (driven into DC by an amplifier with not enough power) which melts the voice coil and/or it's former.

Pressing a finger on the cone just prevents/damps the driver working over it's full travel with the signal being delivered. This is not right.

If the seller represented them as working, then take them back, because they're not.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom