1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd hand CD player (£4-500)?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by MikeFish, Oct 19, 2005.

1. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm after a second hand CD player.
    My father-in-law has a Linn Karik (partnered with Kairn/Klout and Kabers). I'm really impressed with the sound of this set-up. I've seen some second hand Kariks going on Ebay for around this price and am thinking of picking one up.
    How do more modern players compare to the Karik? Would a Cyrus CD7/8 not be up to the job? Or perhaps a Meridian 506/507?
    I'm not bothered about the player being brand new (I won't be using it that much, as I'm more into my AV). My thoughts are that I could get more for my money if it's a bit older.
    Please help!

2. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the way, I currently listen to CDs using an old Philips CD940 (15 year old budget player) and my ancient Cyrus II/PSX to power my Mission Elegante E83s.
    If the CD upgrade makes a discernable difference (which it should), then I might even upgrade the amp too!

3. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Musical fidelity x-ray, Linn Genki, Primare, or a toshiba 9000 dvd player.

4. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's an Xray for sale at the moment. Do you think the Xray or the Genki are better players then a Karik?

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The Karik is quite an old design in relative terms now,but is still quite capable,and also makes a decent transport for future upgrades.

The MF is obviously newer,and benefits from newer DACs,but you could also take a look at some of the upper range Arcams at that price,and the Genki,which is a better player in some respects also.

6. cwilson

cwilson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    how about a rega Jupiter, with its replacement looming they may be a few of these about within your budget

7. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't know Rega made CD players! I remember them as turntable manufaturers. Am I a bit out of touch then?

8. harv

harv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    They're pretty good too, I've got a planet, which can be found for pretty reasonable money I've just agreed to sell mine for £250, the only real problem with it, is that they're top loaders. well at least 6" above them...

9. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, I looked them up earlier. They sound impressive.
    I was winning on a Meridian 507/24 earlier, thought I had it in the bag, but it was removed for breaching the rules.
    I like the thought of a Cyrus set-up, starting with a CD player, then maybe getting a pre amp, then I could add some power amps. I like the thought that I could add more amps to bi-amp, then add a psx-power supply etc. I could eventually build it up to take over my AV system too. I love the looks too.
    On the other hand, if i don't go for a Meridian/Linn/Naim type set-up I will always wonder if I've got the best for my money.

10. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    The Genki is IMHO a better player than the jupiter. The build quality is quite a bit better. Don't get me wrong the Jupiter is a nice player but the casework lets it down. I think i'd describe it as a smoother player than the Planet. Part of the Planets charm was it's rawness. I found the Jupiter lacks that and is a bit too 'laid back' sounding.
    The Genki has all the detail and smoothness of the Jupiter but with better dynamics and a more musical sound.
    Exposure also make some nice CDP's as do Densen.

11. A.N.

A.N.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    get yourself an older meridian 206b, get it serviced by meridian and you'll wonder why you havnt done it before. the most analogure sounding digital front end without spending a fortune. built like a tank too :)

A.N.

12. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was kind of put off of the Genki for 2 reasons. One was that the Karik cost so much more and second was that I saw a Genki for sale and the owner said he bought it to replace a Karik and was disappointed. He wanted to sell it to buy a Unidisk. Was I too quick to write it off.
    I thought the Karik cost about £4k 10-15 years ago. I figured I could equal/better the sound with a more modern player that costs a lot less.
    How would a Cyrus CD8/PSX-R compare to a Karik? Doeas anyone have any experience with the 2?
    If I could get a player that even comes close to the sound of the Karik I would be well chuffed! Obviously, my old Cyrus amp with limit the end product (sounds better than my Pioneer VSX-AX5Ai though for music).

13. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +611
    The Meridian players are excellent, and suit av amps really well, very full but still open sounding and never, ever brash.
    However, if you spent £500 on a 2 channel amp and used your 757 as a cd player I think you would be stunned at the results.
    Just a bit of a bugger to set up as you have two volume controls to consider.

14. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 2 volume thing isn't a problem as that's kinda what I've already got. I tried my 757 as a CDP plugged into my Pioneer, using both the digital and analogue output. My old Philips player sounded better using the analogue output (which suprised me). I dug out the Cyrus out of the loft and bought a PSX power supply. This sounds gives a much better sound than I could manage with my 757. I must admit though, I haven't tried the 757 analogue output into the Cyrus.
    Once I get the CDP I wll probably get a newer 2 channel amp. I'm waiting to the the CD first cos I will probably get a matching amp.
    Currently I'm using the pre out from my Pioneer to feed the cyrus. I have set it up so that it is just right with the volume set at the 12 o'clock position. If I want to listen to a Cd I selct Cd on the Cyrus and turn the volume down. It's a pain in the a*** but couldn't find a better way of using 2 amps to feed 1 set of speakers.

15. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    The Genki is good, especially when matched with other linn equipment. The only Unidisc worth looking at is the 1.1 It would probably be closer to the Karik. Having not heard them side by side it's impossible to say for sure. However the Unidisc SC is bad and the 2.1 not much better.
    To be really honest in the sub £1000 price range there isn't a huge amount of difference between any of the players. Cyrus and Naim do give you the upgrade path. I'd also consider cheap CDP and good DAC. It might get you closer to the sound you're looking for.

16. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought a Cyrus DAD3Q24 which is brilliant. Apparently in quite a few cyrus fans' eyes they're only just starting to superceed it in terms of sound quality, for a 9 year old player (I think the DAC upgrade is 6 years old) that's pretty good!

I'm sure there are many other players out there that would suit your needs too, but I'm very happy with mine :)

17. cosmicma

cosmicma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    if you can get a meridian transport n dac for your budget you won't be disapointed :)

18. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Another vote for meridian dacs :) tbh, if you can use a dvd or cd player as transport, you might want to buy a dac first and then see if a dedicated transport is an improvement...

jon

19. cosmicma

cosmicma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    iv'e been a fan of meridian since the begining of the 80's when i purchased the 101 pre / 103 power amp and to be honest i havn't seen a bad product from them since

oh and to add the pre / power amp is still in use today ( a friend of mine still has it )

20. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I use a Meridian 203 DAC - bit younger than your amps, but still a good decade + old and working fine, and holds it own pretty well compared to modern stuff (I bought it to upgrade a relatively new budget sony CDP - it's a big upgrade) :) Actually, was half tempted to get a Meridian amp to match :)

Jon

21. A.N.

A.N.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm using a 206b (later bitstream) with 203 (dac7) fantastic combo.
    iirc, together they were £1700 new!!

you can pick up mint examples now for about £4-£450.
    bargain!.

22. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the advice guys.
    I'm half tempted now to upgrade the amp first. Then see how my 757 fares. Maybe then get a good DAC and try it with both my CD player and DVD player. I've always fancied having a bit of meridian kit because of their reputation, maybe I'll give one of their DACs a go, there always seem to be few floating about on Ebay.

23. witters

witters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    I'm looking to sell my Exposure Classic XXII as I have moved onto Naim gear. Originally £1400 and a level up from the Genki etc.

Let me know if you're interested.

24. mjirvine

mjirvine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You should easily get a karik second hand for under £400. try asking around the linn dealers. these seem to go for far too much money on ebay.

I just picked up a karik (no numerik), kairn-pro and LK140 for £250 each (£500 for the Kairn and Karik together and £250 for the LK140). This was from a linn dealer.

Sounds lovely of course. good luck with your search.

Michael

25. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, this is what happened.
    I thought my Cyrus ampscould do with an upgrade and I should try out a DAC.
    Looking through the pages of Ebay I saw a Cyrus ACA7.5 pre amp. So I bought it. However, I lost out on the power amps that went with it.
    I set my sights on a Meridian 500 transport and bagged that (one of the later ones with the balanced output). I needed a DAC and found a Meridian 566 20 bit DAC. The guy also had a 518 digital audio processor so I got that too.
    Then I needed some power amps. There was a 557 and 555 for sale. The 557 was up first and I thought I'd wait to the last mintue before putting a bid in. The seller ended the auction 2 hours early and sold it at the current price (£525, a lot less than it's worth!). DOOH! I ended up with the 555. However, I was upset that I lost out on the 557 (it realy is gorgeous!) and found another and snapped it up as well as a mathing 505 mono block. Still with me?
    So, this week I have bought a Cyrus ACA7.5 (kind regret that now, but needed), Meridian 500, 566, 518, 505, 555 and 557. Phew! I only wanted to improve my CD player. Now I've almost revamped my entire AV system. All I need now is a Lexicon MC8 and I can get rid of the Cyrus and the pioneer AX5ai.
    Can't wait to get it all wired up!
    Thanks for all the sugggestions. Will let you know how it sounds if you're interested.

26. harv

harv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    blimey :eek:

oh well in for a penny in for several pounds

do let us know how it all sounds....and how long it took to wire it all up :)

27. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Excellent! If your not single now. When the wife/partner sees the bank statements I bet you will be!
    Good choice of kit.

28. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's quite funny actually. She knew what I'd spent at the halfway point, then I saw the 557 for £700. She said "f*** it, buy the amp (& the 505) and buy me a handbag!"
    I don't need to be told twice! Oh, and she didn't get a handbag either.

29. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Extreme jealousy doesn't begin to describe what i'm feeling now.....

30. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    It might also be worth considering buying an Alpha 5 CDP and sending it to Avondale Audio, lots of information on the Pink Fish forums