• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

2nd hand AV amp and other suggestions ?

jbg

Standard Member
I'm looking for some advice from experienced users.

My current set up is

Panasonic TH-42PH11EK (panel)
Meridian 101b analogue amp 30y old (NO REMOTE CONTROL)
Humax HDR FOX T2 freeview PVR
Sony FM tuner (NO REMOTE CONTROL)
HDX media player
Qnap NAS
pair of B&W DM110 speakers also 30 odd years old

I use this set up to watch TV and to access video and music content from my NAS.

I'm very happy with the stereo sound quality (not really bothered about 5.1 though might in the future) and have been told I'd have to spend a lot of money to get that meridian sound quality in an AV amp.
The reasons for me to go for an AV Receiver amp would be to be able to get a programmable remote control wich would control everything also get rid of my tuner and amp combo which would make my setup much neater.

At the moment when switching between the humax/,HDX/Tuner I have to get up (terrible I know!) and change the amp over manualy and switch on/off one or other device, also there are only two inputs in the amp so the HDX shares with the tuner which isn't ideal.

I would want to do this as cheaply as possible so my current thinking is maybe an Arcam AV350 with a harmony remote programmed to switch between the three configurations that I use.

Any suggestions, advice or relevant info from people in the know would be welcome.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
An Acram 350 will be one of the best performing AVRs you will get for a sensible price but have you considered just getting a stereo reciever with remote control instead?

jbg

Standard Member
An Acram 350 will be one of the best performing AVRs you will get for a sensible price but have you considered just getting a stereo reciever with remote control instead?

Hi thanks for that but Im not sure that solves the problem as both the amp and the tuner have no remote control?

PSM1

Distinguished Member
If you get a stereo reciever then that will have a radio as well (the reciever bit means it contains a radio).

jbg

Standard Member
If you get a stereo reciever then that will have a radio as well (the reciever bit means it contains a radio).

I didn't realise there was such a thing but now reading a bit about them. Basically same setup I've got now but including a radio and a remote control.
hopefully might get better quality sound for my money.
Thanks for the advice

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom