Question 2nd hand alternatives to new Emotiva XPA Gen3 11 channel?

rccarguy2

It’s my first so I have no idea. I won’t be changing every 6 months that’s for sure. It’s £600 I don’t have just now though.

A good amp should last 20 years.

FunkyFoxy

What about class D, there’s a lot love for the Hypex/Ncore as a front 3?

rccarguy2

Never heard class d..maybe good maybe bad but didn't want to buy new tech unheard, for me class ab is well proven tech

I suppose for side/surround/height willing to risk it, or use as efficient and cost effective, plus smaller unit so 8 channel in smaller component is possible.

Cyrusgsxr

What about class D, there’s a lot love for the Hypex/Ncore as a front 3?
I run class D on all channels , using a 2 box solution Rotel RB 1572 & RMB 1512 , they are all ICE modules including both subs being 750 w each, the amps run very cool indeed in fact my AVP gets hotter and they are very efficient and versatile re connections , I use the 1572 to bi amp my front stereo L/R pair this allows true dedicated power for stereo duties and the 1512 will auto switch off in this mode , I then use a further 2 of the 1512 channels to power the centre and the remaining Atmos and surrounds , both amps are auto sensing with 12v triggers , my reasons for choosing class D were efficiency low cost low heat and true power as stated on the box , plus they were an ideal match for XTZ speakers which I consider to be more akin to studio reference monitors than other coloured sounding speakers , My only gripe with the Rotels is that there are no xlr connections which my AVP has for all 13 channels out , alas at the price point you get some very serious bang for your buck , if you are in no immediate rush for your amp and your ok with RCA connections then you would be well advised to look for these in classifieds and other places although these amps retail well above the cost of the Emotiva they can be bought second hand for much less money than the cost of the Emotiva they provide a nice warm but un obtrusive feel to stereo music and man what a kick in dynamics it seems almost effortless.

the XTZ cinema I use are rated nominal 6ohm so they will be sucking a lot more power than the ratings of the amps , they are pretty hard to drive but these amps deliver in spades .

RB-1562-1572 ML OC - b.indd (rotel.com)
2x 250w per channel @8ohm all channels driven

and Rotel RMB-1512 12x 100w per channel @8ohm all channels driven

RMB-1512 Owners Manual Ver A.pdf (rotel.com)

FunkyFoxy

Thanks all for your input. I‘ve gone for the Emotiva, I think as first power amp it was the safest bet. It arrived this morning and if it sounds anywhere near as good as it’s built then it will be amazing. What a lump! Cheers.

rccarguy2

Escobar01

I run 7.1.4 setup in my small room with Yamaha rxa3070 combo with Apollon Audio 6 channel D class amp plus KR Audio 350i valve amp for 2 fronts and must say it sounds incredible. D class hocked to 4 atmos and 2 surrounds ,KR to Fl/ FR, 3070 run as a processor mainly ,only feeding center and 2 wall speakers.Apollon also does 8 channel options, cost arround 2 k Euro,money well spent.

FunkyFoxy

I run 7.1.4 setup in my small room with Yamaha rxa3070 combo with Apollon Audio 6 channel D class amp plus KR Audio 350i valve amp for 2 fronts and must say it sounds incredible. D class hocked to 4 atmos and 2 surrounds ,KR to Fl/ FR, 3070 run as a processor mainly ,only feeding center and 2 wall speakers.Apollon also does 8 channel options, cost arround 2 k Euro,money well spent.

Thanks, yes I looked Apollon and was tempted and impressed by their product range and configuration options. I even considered trying the DIY Ncore route, still may give it a go at some point.

AttilaBudapest

Standard Member
That what I saw in an XTZ group: 6 pieces of stereo XTZ a2-300 power amps behind a Denon 8500.
It would not need more space than an Emotiva XPA 11 and is not even more expensive.

Attachments

• igy_kene_kabelezni.jpg
    igy_kene_kabelezni.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 117

FunkyFoxy

That what I saw in an XTZ group: 6 pieces of stereo XTZ a2-300 power amps behind a Denon 8500.
It would not need more space than an Emotiva XPA 11 and is not even more expensive.

That's some seriously neat cabling there :smashin: I guess it depends on location. 6 x a2-300's works out at £500 more than the Emotiva so was out of my budget. I did consider it though.

Escobar01

I would still consider Apollon as a power amp option, look at distortion levels and output power . XTZ shows 300Watt at 4 Ohms , Apollon is stronger with less distortion, all depends what speakers you have.Pricewise 2.5 kilo for 8 channel pure power,no brainer for me,Emotiva is a great processor for serious home cinema setups in dedicated rooms with decent size. If you plan to run 7.1.4 setup you need 11 channel power amp configuration plus active sub , so in that case 2 x 6 channel amps ,or 8 plus 3 channel amps.I do not know if Emotive is planning to upgrade the Auro 3D format but maybe via software update at some point.In that case you need additional channel of power amplification.In recent av recievers Auro 3D runs via second subwoofer output and there are not that many content on the market to play this format as yet.

AttilaBudapest

Standard Member
That cabling is awesome. I must to better for my next recabling session
I just saved this pic because of the cabling. My mother tongue is Hungarian and the title of this pic (what I gave) is "this is how the cabling should be" literally translated from Hungarian.
:)

AttilaBudapest

Standard Member
That's some seriously neat cabling there :smashin: I guess it depends on location. 6 x a2-300's works out at £500 more than the Emotiva so was out of my budget. I did consider it though.
I just ordered and received 2 pieces of XTZ a2-300 for EUR 900 (10% discount received from XTZ upon a single email). So 6 pieces would be EUR 2700 (maximum), including shipping. Thats 2,400 GBP. Emotiva XPA 11 is less than 2,000 GBP in the UK?

Cyrusgsxr

Man that is seriously impressive any idea what make the actual rack is and where to buy it ?

FunkyFoxy

I just ordered and received 2 pieces of XTZ a2-300 for EUR 900 (10% discount received from XTZ upon a single email). So 6 pieces would be EUR 2700 (maximum), including shipping. Thats 2,400 GBP. Emotiva XPA 11 is less than 2,000 GBP in the UK?
That’s fair. Not a lot of discounts that I’m aware of on the Emotiva, so £2.2k best price I would think. By the time I’ve got my xlr cables I could have definitely gone down the XTZ route. Guess it will be a while before I’ll know if it was the right decision!

Last edited:

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
That’s fair. Not a lot of discounts that I’m aware of on the Emotiva, so £2.2k best price I would think. By the time I’ve got my xlr cables I could have definitely gone down the XTZ route. Guess it will be a while before I’ll know if it was the right decision!

Only just seen this thread, and I know you've gone with the Emotiva, which I think you'll find is more than up to the task.

As far as Yamaha amps go, I went for a second hand MX - A5000 a few years back - cost was £900, which was a bit of a bargain TBH. It may not have the grunt of an ATI, but as I'm running very easy to drive speakers (DIYSG HTM's and Volts) it really doesn't matter - it goes plenty loud enough to make your ears bleed, and doesn't struggle with that at all.

To take a car analogy, it's like comparing a 3.7 litre V6 to a 5.0litre V8 - both will catapult you to insane speeds with ease, and far outperform your 1.0l Yaris (think cheap receiver) - it's just a question of how much spare capacity do you need? If you're sticking your V8 into a 2.5 tonne car, and the V6 into a 1.5 tonne car - the V6 will actually do better; but of course, if you stick them in the other way round, the V8 will walk away with the win comfortably.

Most people's speakers are like a 1.5 tonne car, and so the V6 will perform magnificently. Few people have speakers that are more like a 2.5 tonne car, and so don't actually need the V8. That doesn't stop people from putting V8's into small lightweight cars, and nor should they be stopped from doing so; they'll come up against diminishing returns, but there's still fun to be had from doing it in the first place! Sometimes, just knowing that you have that insane performance available, even if it never actually gets used is part of the fun of running a sportscar, and it's the same with A/V.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Loewe launches We.See TVs under new 'We. by Loewe' sub-brand
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Movies Podcast: 1st December 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Rumour: Samsung even closer to OLED TVs in 2022?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio-Technica launches ATH-SQ1TW true wireless earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on UK streaming services for December 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom